Discuss Working away rates in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

CockneyReject

Been offered 2 trips to the continent with a firm I subby to installing and commissioning some plant that's been shipped over from a local factory that's closing, all the travel, food and digs are been covered by the client and I've been told to name my price for going over, I've got an idea of rates I'd be putting forward but have never left the UK for work before so just want to make sure I'm not going to sell myself short

can anybody offer some insight to rates they receive/have received for similar? PM me if you'd rather not discuss on the open forum

cheers lads

What is a normal working day and what do you normally charge them in the UK weigh this up against what hours you are going to / expected to work on the continental jobs and add an appropriate uplift and if you are on a fixed price I would add contingency sum for any delays of equipment not turning up when it should etc

It depends where you are going also. I can demand a hell of a lot more for working in Iraq than I can in Germany. Also as stated above be very careful on insurances as your normal life and critical illness insurance won't cover you for working overseas.

Thanks for the heads up on the insurance didn't even think of that, jobs are in Germany and Belgium

over here for them it's a standard 38 hour week then anything over that's paid at just under time and a half, we'll be on these machine jobs for 2 weeks at a time doing 12-14 hours everyday it's all hourly rate aswell and the gaffer says any hold ups and stoppages will be charged accordingly so I will still be paid for my time. I'd originally came up with a ÂŁ5 an hour uplift on standard hours which would rise accordingly for all the extra hours I was just curious as to wether I was way off the mark either way

I would want a minimum of a grand take home per week, minimum after taxes with all meals and accomodation paid for, and I mean all paid for not an allowance, anything less you may as well stay at home and work overtime.

Boydy - no mate I mean a fiver ontop of the rate I charge myself out for to this company

Mike - with 16 hours o/t and travel paid I make just short of a grand a week and I'm home every night

I've worked out on the hours I've been told we'll be working and if I do go I'll be taking home around 3/3.5k for the trip and that's with all the travel, digs and meals paid for

Boydy - no mate I mean a fiver ontop of the rate I charge myself out for to this company

Mike - with 16 hours o/t and travel paid I make just short of a grand a week and I'm home every night

I've worked out on the hours I've been told we'll be working and if I do go I'll be taking home around 3/3.5k for the trip and that's with all the travel, digs and meals paid for
Sorry mate I didn't realise you were self employed I thought you were on the books, in that case I would suggest ÂŁ1,700.00 minimum a week then with all food, travel and lodgings paid for.

Thanks Mike I'm somewhere around that with my workings out so atleast I know I'm not taking the **** when I go and agree a rate with them for this trip

TBH, that would be below the minimum I would expect, but you are along the right lines.
So you are not trying to rip them off.
If your skills are such that they need you to travel, then they need to pay.
I know guys that have to travel who are on ÂŁ1k per day to do installation and commissioning works, yes they are worth it.
I can get over ÂŁ600/day in the UK for the hours you are talking about for machine tool installation/commissioning/fault finding works.
Plus travel, and expenses, so you are well in the ball park if not low IMHO.

Thanks Mike I'm somewhere around that with my workings out so atleast I know I'm not taking the **** when I go and agree a rate with them for this trip
Thats my view mate, that is 1700 after stoppages though, I wouldn't want to work abroad for less, it is easy to get 1k a week doing basic sparking work here being self employed and you see your family everynight so don't feel you are ripping anyone off bud.

Reply to Working away rates in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net