Discuss Working hours and working away in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

C

Chinky

Hey Everyone

I run an electrical company with my business partner and we are moving forward farily rapidly at the moment. We currentyl have a mixture of subcontractor's and employees approx. 8. We would like to have everyone employed.

I am looking for some advice on the following subjects:

-Work hours and how pay structure is set in most companies.
We currently pay 8 hours per day onsite and no travel.
1.5 times after 10 hours per day
1.5 times on a Sat - Full day
Double on a Sunday - Hours worked

-Working away from home - 90miles+ from the yard.
Hotel
Breakfast
Dinner
£20.00 extra per night

Is this the norm or do employees get paid from leaving the yard until they return to the yard.

I look forward to your replies.

EC

Not really benefits just pay structure. Subs generally charge more per hour than PAYE, as PAYE get the benefits of holiday etc.

I would normally get travelling time paid at single time. If I've understood it right you could be working 89 miles from your office, not qualify for the lodging rate then have a 2hr journey each way in your own time. Can't see many people agreeing to that.

Ours is:

Work from 8am - 4pm Shop Rate with 15 mins paid tea break in morning and half an hour unpaid for our lunch.

Before 8am and after 4pm is time and a half

Saturday is time and a half up till 2pm then double time and then double time all day sunday, basically all standard SJIB rules

I would agree with what you post in #1 and not pay travel in 2 directions, I used to pay travel in 1 direction but to be honest pricing is to tight now to allow for it.

Depends on your margins I suppose but ultimately the decision is yours.

You need any more subbies, we never get enhanced rates for OT in our neck of the woods lol

- - - Updated - - -

Ours is:

Work from 8am - 4pm Shop Rate with 15 mins paid tea break in morning and half an hour unpaid for our lunch.

Before 8am and after 4pm is time and a half

Saturday is time and a half up till 2pm then double time and then double time all day sunday, basically all standard SJIB rules

Do you pay travel though?

Employees should be paid for there time from your Yard to the place the work is and have a company van and soon to be enforced a pension (i would stick with subbies as you dont have to pay all the additional cost)
Only my opinion

Good luck with the company growth

Without some kind of travel time you could have 1 group of lads on one job doing 8hrs on site with 4 hrs unpaid travel and another group of lads working locally for 8hrs earning the same money. I know which job Id rather be on.

Thanks for the response. Would employees be expected to meet at the yard in the morning and the evening everyday. If not how would you know if they where onsite for the required amount of time.
What about if employees are stuck in traffic, your costs could escalate!

and £20 / night would just about pay the room without any meals. £30 is more realistic.

but if an employee were stuck in traffic, e.g. through a motorway pile up, would you expect him to lose wages for perhaps 4 hours?

No, i meant:

-Working away from home - 90miles+ from the yard.
Hotel - Paid
Breakfast - Paid
Dinner - Paid
PLUS - £20.00 extra per night

We're not expected to go into the yard every morning and evening. It's more of a trust thing, you'd soon get found out if you were getting there late and leaving early all the time. If you were going into the yard every morning at 8 just so that you could say you were there on time, you'd be getting to site later anyway. Trackers on vans are an option.

Thanks for the response. Would employees be expected to meet at the yard in the morning and the evening everyday. If not how would you know if they where onsite for the required amount of time.

Fit trackers, this also helps with insurance costs

No cause its shop rate we work that we leave yard at 8 and be back there for 4, doesn't matter if its local or long distance. It can turn out to be a very short day ha :). Of course if we are working extremely far away and staying in digs then that's different we get £20 per night for meals etc once accommodation is paid for.

Good luck with the rapid growth Chinky!

i've been working away for 5 years in the caravan park distribution industry for 2 companies. im away from home most weeks mon-fri, loading up and picking up job files on either a friday afternoon before 5.30 or monday morning after 8am. travelling is paid both ways in my company van, bandb or hotel paid for by company, usually 25-40 pounds, evening meal any price just not stupid, and breakfast is paid for also.

Hi Chinky

We do not pay travelling for the first 1 and half hours of travelling to and from work there after overtime is paid, the rest we pay the same

Regards

What we have been doing recently, even with the PAYE lads, is giving them a price. Then it's up to them how much or how little they earn. You have to do your maths carefully for this one, but it is a great way of making sure they pull their fingers out.

As for working away B&B paid and office booked, evening meal paid (any reasonable amount) and £10 beer money.

Steve

Reply to Working hours and working away in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock