Discuss Working in a church in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

ringer

-
Reaction score
Have been invited to quote for work in a church and associated church rooms. Nothing major I think, but was wondering if there is anything to watch out for when doing electrical work in a church. I know you need a 'faculty' from the parish council before drilling holes in stone walls in a church, but are there any other issues I should be aware of?

Have been invited to quote for work in a church and associated church rooms. Nothing major I think, but was wondering if there is anything to watch out for when doing electrical work in a church. I know you need a 'faculty' from the parish council before drilling holes in stone walls in a church, but are there any other issues I should be aware of?

As you've mentioned, check for listed building status and the limitations that go hand in hand with that.

Some of the worst, most neglected installations we've come across have been in churches so try to get access to a previous PIR before making any additions/alterations.

What sort of church building? It's easy to *assume* the traditional church building, but my church meet in a school hall...

I'm quite sure if this was a school hall type church then the op wouldn't be asking for church-specific advice!

yeh don`t do what a mate of mine did in a church job. sat there cursing away effing and all the rest of them whilst the vicar stood watching on quietly :D trouble was the area where he works is remote and everone knows everyone and i don`t reckon it did his business a whole load of good as he does not get too much work locally :D sounds like the vicar maybe does not practice what he preaches

If you have a mate, check out his ring tone.

I was working a few years on the top of a scaffold tower, and my mate was getting some MI clips from the van when his phone went off at the bottom of the tower. His ringtone was a clip from the 'Bloodhound Gang's Chasey Elane' song. I had to give his backside a good kicking for that one.

:D i learnt very early when the ring tones on the phones first came in how embarrassing it could be with a dodgy ring tone :D i will say no more as it not in the pub :D

old Mi cables with low resistance readings is a good one to look out for in churches, Long ladders or a tower is a must on most. Know what you mean about ring tones had the London Underground song on my phone for a while, pretty embarrassing. Also most churches are run on committees so don't expect anything to happen at a million miles on hr, as others have said also everyone knows everyone so think about what you say to anyone that approaches you whilst your doing the works. The other thing is to get them to agree on everything beforehand and get it in writing as to what lights etc we did a church last summer the guy I was subbing to lost 15k on the job because there were to many chiefs changing there mind constantly on what light fittings and positions of power points, he bent over backwards trying to keep them happy as he was a church member just couldn't keep track of the extras so when the final bill was presented they thought that the cost of taking the lights up and down 10 times was included in the original price whoops.

Do check if there are special requirements set by the the church governing bodies - The Cof E only accept NAPIT and NIC certs and used to want all wiring done in pyro or steel conduit, and I think Baptist churches have special requirements as well

The Baptists are an the same lines a very jolly lot, it varies from church to church some Baptist churches are more like church of England.

Reply to Working in a church in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock