Discuss Working in Schools? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Dont forget if you are working while kids are around Police checks also cant have just anyone there now a days !
As for the work most councils have their own little ways so best talking to them to see what they require !
Here it used to be once you had the job we would get the materials home asap and they were payably as soon as they were on site, then any changes they would pay for materials and also pay us a restocking fee for anything not required ! It used to be a gold mine for the firm i worked for back then!
Days have changed since my time so i cant give much advice as to what happens now sorry.

Schools in my area have their own budgets and are able to employ contractors without having to use council approved contractors. NICEIC approved contractors are stipulated though. Most will require a documented H&S policy,and a current DBS check . Dont forget to ask to see the asbestos register before starting or quoting any work.

Schools in my area have their own budgets and are able to employ contractors without having to use council approved contractors. NICEIC approved contractors are stipulated though. Most will require a documented H&S policy,and a current DBS check . Dont forget to ask to see the asbestos register before starting or quoting any work.

This is what get my rag - NICEIC is one of a number of bodies out there and to stipulate one is in breach of fair competition laws, the catch 22 though is if you challenge it then you might as well wave goodbuy to a chance of winning the contract.

This is what get my rag - NICEIC is one of a number of bodies out there and to stipulate one is in breach of fair competition laws, the catch 22 though is if you challenge it then you might as well wave goodbuy to a chance of winning the contract.

I am not disputing you DW, but is it defo in breach of fair competition. Can an organisation not stipulate their own minimum requirements. Maybe as it is a council ran affair they can't. I don't know. I am NAPIT registered so it gets my goat also.

To the OP, are you CHAS registered. That seems to be a major requirement up here. Also double your prices and add another 30% for good measure. The schools get ripped off big style!!

It stems from the Niceic been the only body in the distant past but as other schemes have jumped into the market the old hats still wear blinkers thinking Niceic are the requirement mainly through pen pushers with little idea .. its been over the years addressed with numerous councils and they have had to change their wording and not stipulate a selected preference due to the fair competition rules.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, much appreciated.
I've definitely got the job but I'm still unsure on how they pay?

probably depends on the school. most likely be a cheque, when i worked for myself, some would pay up fairly sharp, others you had to wait 30 days.

Thanks guys, much appreciated.
I've definitely got the job but I'm still unsure on how they pay?

It'll be in their standard terms and conditions, presumably sent to you with the tender document before you quoted.
If not it'll be on their website somewhere.
Better still, ring them and ask.

Agreed,as you state it is because the NICEIC were the original body and remain the only one widely known by the public. I'll wager if you stated ELECSA,STROMA NAPIT etc to just about anyone outside of the electrical industry you'll get a blank look.

Last edited by a moderator:
Regarding the NICEIC they have the approved contractor scheme, I didn't realise the others had that, they are part P schemes only I believe. To work in schools you need to be on the EXOR list usually, this is the level required to prove you are a safe contractor, the EXOR accreditation level usually requires examination of accounts, all risk insurance, police checks on staff, a full health and safety scheme membership, and you may also need to show the county council priced work on paper so they know you know what you are doing, you need to prove substainity and also need to prove you have a method statement and risk assessment system in place.

It is not the same for all councils of course, but certainaly a lot are adopting the EXOR system for compliance.

Mike

Agreed,as you state it is because the NICEIC were the original body and remain the only one widely known by the public. I'll wager if you stated ELECSA,STROMA NAPIT etc to just about anyone outside of the electrical industry you'll get a blank look.

What most people dont seem to get is only the nic, napit and ECA assess you for commercial and industrial work as well, the others cover only domestic work so are not within the scope required in the first place

the school i work for accept either of these 3 and thats fair enough i think, but if your looking at working in the public sector on commercial works why would you even consider elecsa or stroma etc, it makes no sense

What most people dont seem to get is only the nic, napit and ECA assess you for commercial and industrial work as well, the others cover only domestic work so are not within the scope required in the first place

the school i work for accept either of these 3 and thats fair enough i think, but if your looking at working in the public sector on commercial works why would you even consider elecsa or stroma etc, it makes no sense

No, BSI and Stroma also assess you for non domestic work

No, BSI and Stroma also assess you for non domestic work
They do regarding energy saving schemes dave but I haven't seen a approved contractor status with them which is for companies carrying out other than Domestic work, they also need accredation themselves from others like EXOR for example before they get respect with Local authorities like the NICEIC currently does. New schemes like Stroma need to prove themselves first to County councils, currently they are concidered nothing more than a Part P scheme, perhaps they are building for the future but they have a way to go.

Napit is a laughed at scheme usually, there have been horror stories about them only carrying out 18 month checks and assessors with limited scope knowledge, they have a long way to go also before getting county council respect outside Domestic scope, JMO oh and JME.

They do regarding energy saving schemes dave but I haven't seen a approved contractor status with them which is for companies carrying out other than Domestic work, they also need accredation themselves from others like EXOR for example before they get respect with Local authorities like the NICEIC currently does. New schemes like Stroma need to prove themselves first to County councils, currently they are concidered nothing more than a Part P scheme, perhaps they are building for the future but they have a way to go.

I've just registered for Stroma, I filled in the form which asks whether I want to register for domestic electrical and/Or non domestic electrical
BSI also register and assess you for any type of work, ask Rockingit about it as he is registered with them

I am not doubting they are trying to gain certification away from the domestic sector Dave, just saying as far as councils are concerned they cannot justify it yet, it is too new for them, they need to prove it first. Look I don't make these comments lightly mate, I have attended County council meetings where contractors have asked the funding side of it about using other schemes and they have said that napit had to step up a gear and were falling short on conditions which were needed to be adhered to before being reckonised as compliant, they fell short on inspections times and inspector numbers along with other issues regading accounts access etc to be regarding in the same manner in their opinion as the NICEIC. Dave I don't like the fact the NICEIC dominate the councils but their approved contractor status is currently way ahead of the other schemes who are more concerned with Domestic systems. I appreciate Napit and Stroma etc are trying to gain credibility there, and will do so of course eventually but currently are way short on a lot of councils opinion, right or wrong, I am just saying what I have heard several times. And Napit are ahead of Stroma at the moment, Stroma is still very new.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not doubting they are trying to gain certification away from the domestic sector Dave, just saying as far as councils are concerned they cannot justify it yet, it is too new for them, they need to prove it first. Look I don't make these comments lightly mate, I have attended County council meetings where contractors have asked the funding side of it about using other schemes and they have said that napit had to step up a gear and were falling short on conditions which were needed to be adhered to before being reckonised as compliant, they fell short on inspections times and inspector numbers along with other issues regading accounts access etc to be regarding in the same manner in their opinion as the NICEIC. Dave I don't like the fact the NICEIC dominate the councils but their approved contractor status is currently way ahead of the other schemes who are more concerned with Domestic systems. I appreciate Napit and Stroma etc are trying to gain credibility there, and will do so of course eventually but currently are way short on a lot of councils opinion, right or wrong, I am just saying what I have heard several times. And Napit are ahead of Stroma at the moment, Stroma is still very new.

Well we are all truly ****ed if the NICEIC are considered to be above the British standards institute!

Reply to Working in Schools? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock