Discuss Working in someone’s home in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

E

Elidor

Slightly related to a previous post of mine...
How do you stand as a tradesman if a customer asks you to do some work but the property is owned by another party; in my case owned by the council / local housing association? Am I allowed to carry out any work agreed between myself and my customer or does it have to be approved by the owner?

I remember coving something similar in my coursework but it was specifically regarding the certification of the work being issued to both owner and tenant.

They will also require it to be tested and certed, and part P notified if applicable.

You will most likley find that the council/housing association will insist that any contractor used will be a member of a scheme, and unfortuantely that scheme often than not is the NICEIC.

They insist on this for insurance purposes, that any contractor working on their property carrie liability insurance.

I would say that any work contracted to you by a customer is between you and the customer
Housing association or council approval is the customers responsibility

If the customer employed someone who is not acceptable,the customer is breaking any tenancy agreement,its their problem I would suspect

if the customer is paying you then its between you and them, if they needed prior permission then that is thier problem not yours (how would you know if it was rented or private anyway if they chose not to tell)

The customer will need to gain prior approval from the council, as stated above.

Aslong as they arent asking you to do anything unreasonable, I dont see why the ownership of the house effects you, do your job, get your money an get off.

if the customer is paying you then its between you and them, if they needed prior permission then that is thier problem not yours (how would you know if it was rented or private anyway if they chose not to tell)
I'd agree with ezzzekiel on this, your main concern would be who's paying. As long as they are not claiming that the council will pay.

However, I guess there is a caveat here as well, as long as the council then don't claim you have "damaged" their property. ;) So, as always, get your instructions in writing from the client (in particular who's paying).

Reply to Working in someone’s home in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock