Discuss Working live question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

lister101

I've just come across this C & G 2357 sample question & in my opinion after a quick look at the regulations I would say non of the answers are valid or are they just badly worded....or is it just me!

1. Under the Electricity at Work Regulations live working is only permitted:

a) when other trades are at lunch break

b) in factories and offices when working out of hours

c) in domestic properties during a complete rewire

[FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]d) it is reasonable in all circumstances for it to be live

.....Andy;~)

[FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]

Its D mate (although the wording may not be the best because its part of a longer paragraph). From the HSE guidance on Electricity at Work Regs (download copy).........

Regulation 14 Work on or near live conductors
No person shall be engaged in any work activity on or so near any live conductor (other than one suitably covered with insulating material so as to prevent danger) that danger may arise unless -
(a) it is unreasonable in all the circumstances for it to be dead; and
(b) it is reasonable in all the circumstances for him to be at work on or near it while it is live; and
(c) suitable precautions (including where necessary the provision of suitable protective equipment) are taken to prevent injury.

Thanks for your help guys. I did look at a summary of EAWR & initially thought it was answer d) but the way the answer was worded threw me! "If it was reasonable for it to be live" might have been better for me.
Regards

...Andy;~)

Its D mate (although the wording may not be the best because its part of a longer paragraph). From the HSE guidance on Electricity at Work Regs (download copy).........

Regulation 14 Work on or near live conductors
No person shall be engaged in any work activity on or so near any live conductor (other than one suitably covered with insulating material so as to prevent danger) that danger may arise unless -
(a) it is unreasonable in all the circumstances for it to be dead; and
(b) it is reasonable in all the circumstances for him to be at work on or near it while it is live; and
(c) suitable precautions (including where necessary the provision of suitable protective equipment) are taken to prevent injury.

Thanks daimack that puts it in a better perspective. I guess the person who copied & pasted the question should have altered it slightly...well just for me anyway lol

Just found this on the computer...see attachment.

Point 220 page 41 seems to me that live testing is perfectly acceptable, not that it ever wasn't in my book.

(just a slight digression to settle the live testing discussions that have been bubbling away recently)

Attachments

• EAWR 1989.pdf
    290.2 KB · Views: 18
answer is (e). coz. i can't be arsed to go all the way downstairs and down to the cellar to turn it off, just to swap a light switch.

Just found this on the computer...see attachment.

Point 220 page 41 seems to me that live testing is perfectly acceptable, not that it ever wasn't in my book.

(just a slight digression to settle the live testing discussions that have been bubbling away recently)

Live testing is considered live work, and as such may be justified if all thee conditions of EWR:1989 Regulation 14 are satisfied. Live testing by a competent person doesn't modify, or reduce, this requirement in any way. See Memorandum of guidance to EWR:1989 paragraphs 208, 209, 218, 219 in addition to 220.

You just get a better bang.

It's a long time since I've seen a cable explode, it left little crators up the wall and across the ceiling.

Reply to Working live question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net