Discuss Working live in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

The problem with the HSE is that they work to conditions that on paper are black & white. If you were to work live in this situation then a more sensible approach is to do a thorough risk assessment. Taking in to account all measures to ensure as much safety as practically possible. You could also argue that your own personal risk is your own responsibility and that its your life to gamble. But I guess you cannot put a price on a life, though insurance companies do ;)
That is exactly what we did, we risk assessed it and put measures in place to minimise danger.. job went sweet... and yes you are 100% correct, the HSE are very black and white.

That is exactly what we did, we risk assessed it and put measures in place to minimise danger.. job went sweet... and yes you are 100% correct, the HSE are very black and white.
Glad it went well, this time????

for sale.... full set of electrician's VDE tools. never goung to werk live again..... NOT.

Glad it went well, this time????

Come on now Pete, you telling me you haven't got the experience and knowledge to fit an MCB ina dist board live if it meant switching down a 24hr factory to do so dead.

Yes, dead working is always the number one option. There's a time and place for live working also, so long as the person doing it knows how to do it in a safe methodical manner, using the correct tools and experience.

Come on now Pete, you telling me you haven't got the experience and knowledge to fit an MCB ina dist board live if it meant switching down a 24hr factory to do so dead.

Yes, dead working is always the number one option. There's a time and place for live working also, so long as the person doing it knows how to do it in a safe methodical manner, using the correct tools and experience.
Oh is that what you call working live nowadays, yes of course I have fitted an mcb in a live db, working live to me is playing with live bits in busbars etc

So when would you consider working live Pete?
Well if putting a new MCB in a db without switching Off then most days I would say, but what is working live, you can't fault find in some cases without live lekky floating about. I suppose there are are differing descriptions of live working.

Black and White!

Well if putting a new MCB in a db without switching Off then most days I would say, but what is working live, you can't fault find in some cases without live lekky floating about. I suppose there are are differing descriptions of live working.
Grey!

where's brown gone? or is that the colour reserved for the underpants when something goes bang.

Oh is that what you call working live nowadays, yes of course I have fitted an mcb in a live db, working live to me is playing with live bits in busbars etc

Although technically it is working live, fitting an MCB wouldn't bother me.

I have in the past drilled and tapped live bus bars. That is what I would consider live working. We followed a strict procedure, and had proper tools and equipment.

FYI, fitting an MCB into a DB is classed as working live, an electrician friend of mine got seriously hurt doing just this, all down to a faulty breaker which blew up in his face as he fitted it.
The HSE got involved and said there was no reason why the board should not have been switched off to carry out the work. His company got fined and he has the scars on his face and hands.
As with all accidents, its the unexpected that gets you..

Although technically it is working live, fitting an MCB wouldn't bother me.

I have in the past drilled and tapped live bus bars. That is what I would consider live working. We followed a strict procedure, and had proper tools and equipment.
I have done just that too, not today, it is just not worth it. HS would have a field day.

Oh memories
Going back a bit here but I remember one wonderful occasion fitting a 3 phase MCB in a KQ board and the damn thing just wouldn't click in so in that time honored tradition I decided to give it a little shove.
Yep it went then, straight in too far and shorted out on the metal panel behind.
Woke me up I can tell you.

Oh memories
Going back a bit here but I remember one wonderful occasion fitting a 3 phase MCB in a KQ board and the damn thing just wouldn't click in so in that time honored tradition I decided to give it a little shove.
Yep it went then, straight in too far and shorted out on the metal panel behind.
Woke me up I can tell you.
you should have used a smaller hammer.

Reply to Working live in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock