Discuss working on site / pulling cables in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

jmusson1989

Im doing level 2 electrical engineering NVQ at college and trying to get experience on site to get me through level 3 and to help for the future. Just had a call, might be going on site this Monday to pull SWA cables on an industrial site.

What's it like? What should I expect?
What colour CSCS/safety PP should I need in my circumstances?

Get your thick skin out, & get ready for some great jokes, don't mention you're trying for a baby otherwise every bloke on site will offer to pop home (to yours) to help you out, and if someone asks if you if you have any naked pictures of your wife/girlfriend on your phone, expect (after saying "no") the reply "do you want some"!

Oh "what comes after S in the alphabets a common one, if you make a cup for a plasterer chances are he'll drink it with the bag left in

all depends on the site i suppose. i would imagine hi vis, boots, hard hat and gloves would be a must for me whether they're required or not. be ready for a fair bit of graft!

Get your thick skin out, & get ready for some great jokes, don't mention you're trying for a baby otherwise every bloke on site will offer to pop home (to yours) to help you out, and if someone asks if you if you have any naked pictures of your wife/girlfriend on your phone, expect (after saying "no") the reply "do you want some"!

Oh "what comes after S in the alphabets a common one, if you make a cup for a plasterer chances are he'll drink it with the bag left in
lol yeah, the bloke said there'll be plenty of banter, but that's to be expected, I'll be so happy to be getting experience that I won't let it bother me. Really, I meant what's the work experience like, pulling SWA cables and such, I've done a small SWA socket circuit at college but nothing on an industrial scale :p

all depends on the site i suppose. i would imagine hi vis, boots, hard hat and gloves would be a must for me whether they're required or not. be ready for a fair bit of graft!
Got ovvys, safety boots and the guys going to be supplying me with hi vis, hard hat and goggles and any tools to use

depends on size,put it this way i,ve just finished pulling in some 150mm 4 cores and when i got home the first thing i wanted was my bed, absolutely knackered,thank god there,s only 1000 mtrs of 2.5 left!

depends on size,put it this way i,ve just finished pulling in some 150mm 4 cores and when i got home the first thing i wanted was my bed, absolutely knackered,thank god there,s only 1000 mtrs of 2.5 left!
wow, lol. how's the cables fastened down then and secured? Do you have to do that after pulling it all? Also when on site, how do you wire SWA, at college it's easy to use just some mole grips or something, but I imagine with thicker cables, it's have to be a really big pair of mole grips to fasten that and a lot of effort, lol, so how's that done?

Not sure if you'll be terminating the SWA that will be left for another team, but you maybe lucky. Normally the pulling "dogs" do the grunt and it's left to us clever chaps to terminate :laugh3:

What is the industry coming to ..................terminating SWa with "molegrips" disgraceful, where was your pair of "footprints"?

Well if it is FB SWA then you'll be swinging on a pair of 36" or 48" Stilsons

Not sure if you'll be terminating the SWA that will be left for another team, but you maybe lucky. Normally the pulling "dogs" do the grunt and it's left to us clever chaps to terminate :laugh3:

What is the industry coming to ..................terminating SWa with "molegrips" disgraceful, where was your pair of "footprints"?

Well if it is FB SWA then you'll be swinging on a pair of 36" or 48" Stilsons
lucky you, I was the same in the good old days now I have to get hands on,as there is only me on the sparking at the grainstore where I work,still the labourers have a new respect for me after giving me a lift with that job,one said he thought sparks had it easy now he realises its not all plain sailing.

wow, lol. how's the cables fastened down then and secured? Do you have to do that after pulling it all? Also when on site, how do you wire SWA, at college it's easy to use just some mole grips or something, but I imagine with thicker cables, it's have to be a really big pair of mole grips to fasten that and a lot of effort, lol, so how's that done?
Hi its all a question of scale, same procedure with any armoured,its just bigger tools and a damn site harder,you,ll see when you get out there.

Depends on size of cable really, but I would seriously invest in a decent pair of safety gloves in case its a bit of a beast - just watch them fingers

working on site / pulling cables leather-safety-gloves-531799 - EletriciansForums.net

Take a couple of rolls of white insulation tape and a couple of sharpies (Permanent makers) you can get them in tescos.

Keep an eye out for pieces of cardboard to save chathing the cables, if there is a twist gather it into a hoop and walk it out. Always roll the cable out, dont let it uncoil off the side causing twists.

If there is a large diameter cable ask if you are running a seperate CPC as well.

If you are pulling through ducts ask if they want another draw wire run in as well for the next future cable.

Make sure you have some cable ties, most just hold them in the corners untill they are all in ready to be dressed.

If you are in a tight area where there is ducting, half finished grid ceilings etc, MOVE YOUR HEAD SLOWLY, there are many sharp edges and uncut suspension wire that could have your eye out. Same goes for basket, look out for burrs.

good advice there Andy As for Op if you havent done this type of work before and are joining a weel established team ( gangs tend to work sleep eat and wipe eachothers bums ) Dont expect to slot right in
take heed of EVERYthing the ganger says specialy regarding methods and form of pulling as pulling when noone else is could cause damage to YOU and not pulling when everyone else is could cause damage to someone else ( and result in you getting a kiking) I havent done it but have worked along side a few gangs as the main contractors man on site Pile of boxes for ripping and using at corners ect ect making sure scaffolds were where they were needed
As with every "learner" Making tea ect clearing up , general dogs body till you gain a bit of respect
Best of luck

Reply to working on site / pulling cables in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock