Discuss Working out Impediance need help! in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

Mikeymike77

Hey I am trying to do this formula but I can't work out the last number to get answer the bit I can't do is the 10-6 to get the answer.

frequency of 1 KHZ

2x3.142x1000 x220x10-6 - = 723.4ohms

Frequency 20 KHZ

2x3.142x20000x220x10-9 = 36.2ohms

Can anyone describe how to do the last number? Because on a calculater I don't the same number in ohms ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Where to start?

What is this, a given answer or fruit of your efforts?

The top calc is correct - but only if you square (you`ve written "x2" :eek:)

The 3.142 gave it away, as in, you`d use Pi x r to the power of 2 (squared) but instead you`re using a Hz value.

Also, you`d need to substitute 230 instead of your 220 - i guessed this was Voltage (again you kept us in the dark :mad:)

The `bit` you say you`re stuck on - the `to the power of -6` part was the easy bit :D

x10 -6 is 1 micro units (whatever you`re working in) In other words it`s 10 /10 with 6 zero`s after it (10,000,000) The minus symbol indicates you must invert the x into divide.

Therefore in the 2nd calc, the x10 -9 will be in nano units (10 /10,000,000,000) Just basic scientific notation

Unfortunately, knowing that doesn`t really help tho` as the 2nd calc is screwed up somehow - have you an idea i wonder? :confused: Let us know if you figure out where.

Hope this helps

Hi.

I been looking at your calcs for a while now and I think theres deffo something wrong with calc 2 somewhere.

I cant put my finger on it just yet as I dont have all the info i.e the original calc/question.

Anything with a - in fornt must be divided to gain the base unit unit i.e 10-6 would be 10,000,000 as a base unit - a micro unit.

Cheers.

ElectricAl beat me to it.:p

The first one is an inductance ie 2times pie, times frequency, times inductor. The second is capacitance, and the answer should be, one over, 2 times pie, times frequency, times capacitor. This gives 36.172 ohms which is near enough for anybody.

Last edited:
I thought when working out impediance you needed first to work out both Inductive Resistance and then Capacitive resistance.

Inductive Resistance is:

XL = 2*pi*f*L

Where f is Frequency (Hz) and L is Inductance (H)

Capacitive Resistance is:

XC =

-------------
2*pi*f*C

Where f is Frequency and C is capacitance (farads)

You then need the formular : Z = Sqrt R2 + (XL - XC)2

Is this correct?

Hey I am trying to do this formula but I can't work out the last number to get answer the bit I can't do is the 10-6 to get the answer.

frequency of 1 KHZ

2x3.142x1000 x220x10-6 - = 723.4ohms

Frequency 20 KHZ

2x3.142x20000x220x10-9 = 36.2ohms

Can anyone describe how to do the last number? Because on a calculater I don't the same number in ohms ?

it is

XC =

-------------
2*pi*f*C

And your answer to question 1 is incorrect decimal in wrong place, Answer = 0.7234 (I bet if you look at calculator 723.4 has a 10-4 to top right of answer.

Question 2. answer correct this is how I got it 100,000,000 / (2 x 3.142 x 20000 x 220) = 36.1715 ohms

The 100,000,000 represent convertion of 1/10-9

it is

XC =

-------------
2*pi*f*C

And your answer to question 1 is incorrect decimal in wrong place, Answer = 0.7234 (I bet if you look at calculator 723.4 has a 10-4 to top right of answer.

Question 2. answer correct this is how I got it 100,000,000 / (2 x 3.142 x 20000 x 220) = 36.1715 ohms

The 100,000,000 represent convertion of 1/10-9

That is one way of doing it but very easy to make a mistake. You really need a calculator with an exponent key (ie. exp, ee) depending on your make and model.

The first one is an inductance ie 2times pie, times frequency, times inductor. The second is capacitance, and the answer should be, one over, 2 times pie, times frequency, times capacitor. This gives 36.172 ohms which is near enough for anybody.

mike I think they are both calculation to find different Xc, if you do Xl for first question ans= 1.3824 ohms

Did not have calculator available, so i did it long hand.

Reply to Working out Impediance need help! in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net