Discuss Working Out Spotlight Spacings in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Had a bit of a discussion today, so thought I'd ask on here. When working out spacings for spotlights what setup does everyone use? I know different lights have different outputs and require different spacings, I was just wondering what people use as a rule of thumb.

Cheers, Jim

As a rough guide on the requirements of CIBSE

Kitchen and living areas 200 – 300lux

Bathrooms, tolilets 150lux

Bedrooms 150lux + local task liighting

Corridors, hallways 100lux

Using 1M spacing gives 267lux average

Using 1.5M spacing gives 121lux average

Using 1.7M spacing gives 98 lux average

As a rough rule of thumb kitchens and living areas use 1M spacings. Bathrooms, toilets & bedrooms you can use 1.2M or possibly a bit more. And corridors, hallways etc. you can get away with 1.7M.

Obviously the above is a rough guide as other factors come in to play such as ceiling height, lamp type, wattage, kitchen cupboards etc but I find it a good rule of thumb when designing.

I'd say somewhere between 1 and 1.5 M depending on what looks right and position of joists.
although the above is a much better answer.

Or is the OP asking how to generally space down lights (taking their output into account).

For example, if I have decided the room needs 4 x luminaires in a square room measuring A by B, I would place 1/2 A between each and 1/4 A each from wall. Ditto for B axis. In kitchens, dimensions of wall units are deducted from A or B. Generalisation of course, and allowing for joists etc.

Ignore me if I'm barking up the wrong tree, most people do. :D

Reply to Working Out Spotlight Spacings in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock