Discuss working out volt drop in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I wasn't having a go at him Shanky :) , just curious as the thinking behind it that was all :) , I must admit that I had dark thoughts of someone thinking a source/supply RCD may somehow negate possible bonding issues with PME, as I have heard this before from someone who should have known better :)

It's suppled from a pme system
rcbo at supply end and rcd at garage end but over the top but it's not going to give any nuss tripping.
4mm fro radial (got in in the van )

Over the top is one one thing but wasting money and having no discrimination of 2 rcd in series thus does not comply to regs is another, yes its not going to give nuisance tripping par' ce but its poor design from a professional all the same.

No, it won't. Or am I missing some of what you missed?

I have thought for a moment and I cannot see why an ordinary RCD test button would trip an upstream RCBO. Pray tell...

just out of interest, can anyone quote a reg. that forbids 2 30mA RCDs in series?

I have thought for a moment and I cannot see why an ordinary RCD test button would trip an upstream RCBO. Pray tell...

Right, I have had a thought :), and it seems maybe you are correct and I was wrong for this scenario being that the RCBO is upstream and the RCD is downstream, however if the RCBO and RCD were the other way around then it trips both devices for some reason, maybe something to do with the functional earth on the RCBO ?

I know this as a fact because I once was testing a custom built SP DB (by the firm I as working for), and all of the test rigs were in use so I used a normal socket outlet and "widow maker" lead to power this DB up to check the metering etc., anyhow I accidently caught one of the test buttons on one the many RCBOs fitted to this board and promptly tripped out the supply RCBO for this supply too, the howls of protest from a co-worker whom was using a computer powered from this supply revealed this lol :)

Reg 1: Use Common sense.

or it'll be something out of Chapter 3 about discrimination.

yes. i know, but was seeking a specific reg.

531.2.9 only asks for discrimination between RCDs when it is necessary to prevent danger.

I was always taught that the test button mechanically tests the device. I'm not sure about RCBO's.

well yes to an extent, it checks the electro-mechanical aspects out, the test button usually switches a resistor from the incoming L terminal to the outgoing N terminal so it checks the trip coil operation too.

he is a trainee, i wouldnt be suprised if he is a first year

it sounds like a homework question, if it is its in the wrong section

he mentions mv/a/m on basic domestic circuits so its homework, why would you need to work this out when it gives you all that info in bs7671 and onsite guide if we wanted it

Sounds like he wants to do the job because he's applying for elesca registration in another thread he started.

well yes to an extent, it checks the electro-mechanical aspects out, the test button usually switches a resistor from the incoming L terminal to the outgoing N terminal so it checks the trip coil operation too.

That makes sense, but wouldn't cause an upstream device to operate as it only diverts current to neutral so no imbalance would be detected on the other device.

That makes sense, but wouldn't cause an upstream device to operate as it only diverts current to neutral so no imbalance would be detected on the other device.

Hence my earlier reply to Lucien ;) , I am not sure why the RCBO tripped out the upstream one that I did at work though, but it did.

I might tomorrow fit my spare RCD that I keep, to a plug and lead , and see if it trips out the house RCD lol :)

My downstairs sockets at home are fed from a rcbo and I spurred a outside rcd socket off this circuit, now every time I use the outside socket I always push the test button and it has never tripped the upstream rcbo.

My downstairs sockets at home are fed from a rcbo and I spurred a outside rcd socket off this circuit, now every time I use the outside socket I always push the test button and it has never tripped the upstream rcbo.

I wonder if it only happens with an RCBO downstream ?, as I said maybe it was due to only certain types or possibly with the functional Earth when this is present.

I originally opened my mouth based on my earlier experience without thinking , then I thought about it and came around to Luciens way of thinking. :)

Reply to working out volt drop in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock