Discuss Workshop power supply in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

cameronj

Hello I have been away from electrical installation for sometime but am making a return. I have been asked to install a supply to an outbuilding consisting of lights and sockets. Load will be minimal, hand tools, log splitter etc. Can I utilise a spare MCB form the board or would it be better to use Henley's ? Thank you in advance.

Hello I have been away from electrical installation for sometime but am making a return. I have been asked to install a supply to an outbuilding consisting of lights and sockets. Load will be minimal, hand tools, log splitter etc. Can I utilise a spare MCB form the board or would it be better to use Henley's ? Thank you in advance.

ask yourself if you can connect to a non-RCD MCB or do you want a fault in the outbuilding taking out half the house. that's your starter for 10.

This seems to be a stock answer lately, is it the new fad to replace "Get an Electrician in" which we all know and love.

The O.P. did say that he was "Making a return"

nah, we still use that line frequently mate. but the whole point in saying it should be in the DIY section and reporting the post is to help the mods, sorry, admins.

and anyway, it seems the OP has done that classic yet again. posted a question then buggered off. what's the point in posting if they aint gonna come back and answer any of our questions to help them.?!

On the basis its an out building that's going to require SWA (more than likely) you are going to need to gland it somewhere and unless the consumer unit is metal its not ideal, nothing wrong with taking off an MCB, but just think how you plan on connecting it all really, all depends on a lot of if's and but's and needing to know a bit more. But to answer the question, MCB fine, depends on the loading max demand of that board etc etc, and as said above, if you trip the breaker in the outbuilding, will you want to go and reset it that far away. Have a think about what you want to achieve.

basically another DIY chancer here....

to the O/P:

you state in #1 that `I have been away from electrical installation for sometime`....

so, when was the last time you did anything `electrical`?....and just what did this constitute......
wiring a plugtop perhaps?

use an rcbo in the house consumer unit. size the fuse according to the needs and cable size you will be using.
for minimal load should do with a lenght of 2.5 and 20a breaker (unless is a very long cable run).

is good to have some form of rcd protection on the cable, but not good connecting it into existing one, you dont want
to trip half of the house if something goes wrong in the workshop.

if planning for bigger loads use bigger cable and different fuse.

use this simple calculator to calculate cable size needed:
Voltage Drop Calculator

in the workshop install a small consumer unit with mcb for lights and sockets, no need for rcd in there as you already have one upstream.

nah, we still use that line frequently mate. but the whole point in saying it should be in the DIY section and reporting the post is to help the mods, sorry, admins.

and anyway, it seems the OP has done that classic yet again. posted a question then buggered off. what's the point in posting if they aint gonna come back and answer any of our questions to help them.?!

Well,well,well. Where do I start ? This is the first time I have ever posted on any forum and am not exactly au fait with the protocol however I am deeply disappointed at the replies by certain members. How dare some of you question my skills as an Electrician. It was a simple query that required a simple answer. Granted I did not provide much detail however this was done on purpose to avoid a long and meandering story. I haven't 'buggered off'. I am allowed to come back to answer any replies within my time frame. If that means 1 minute, 1 hour or 1 day then that is my prerogative. I decided to post on here as I thought I would be amongst like minded individuals, happy to help and free from judgement. How wrong I was. As stated in my original post my days of domestic/commercial installation were some years ago having moved into the Oil and Gas telecoms market. So, yes, I am a tad 'rusty'. This is not a crime. To all the decent people who replied I am grateful for your advice. To all those who chose to judge I feel sorry for you. Good Evening.

Thank you for your comments. I have not 'buggered off'. I return when I dictate. If that means in 1 minute, 1 hour or 1 day then so be it. Thank you for your concern though.

Thank you for your informative reply unlike some others. I appreciate it. I am replacing the CU in the house as it has the push button type mcb's which are showing signs of malfunction by not being able to reset. This will be in the form of a split board with MCB's or one with RCBO's depending on the financial constraints of the customer. I will be running a 6mm PVC SWA from a 20A MCB/RCBO underground to the steading, a run of 40 m. It will terminate into a RCD protected 4 way CU with final circuits of sockets and lights. How does this sound ?

Hi, I'm doing a similar setup but have discovered the 'workshop' is not just an out building, I'm split between what 'amlu' said (which is what I'd usually do) & not stack the RCBO inline with RCD, but I require 4 circuits, and to comply with 17th ed ideally would have a split board or 4xRCBO's, but this would put RCBO's in series, and the last option would leave the SWA unprotected (by just having a breaker on the main board) any suggestion?

Yes, not happy with the idea of two Rcds in line, my only concerns is that;
A) site is a sloping one and excavating has uncovered very mixed substrate, (ie very soft soil, clay, a large proportion of slate & some solid rock)
B) here is a farmers right of way over it
With such a variation of depths I have concerns that at there is a risk that the cable may be compromised, any suggestions?

put the SWA in some plastic ducting. surround with sand 6" all round, then fill with 6" decent soil, then top up with any old crap. that way, the SWA is well protected from mechanical damage.

Reply to Workshop power supply in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net