Discuss Worrying activities! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
IMG_0911.JPG I had a call out today as the customer reported they had no E7 since their electrician replaced the DB.
Looking at the meter I questioned if they ever had E7 as the meter was a single rate 4 wire.
"We did have storage heaters but had them took out so the electrician removed the E7 DB, the associated wiring and the timer clock.
Well that would explain the loss of the E7 then!
Electrician has obviously removed the cut out fuse to do this work and replace the DB with a split load one as no isloator was fitted and the seals were missing..but not authorised to do so no doubt!
Also obviously replaced the load meter tails to the DB as these were new and again seals missing, in fact one of the meter terminal covers screws was missing...again another no no!
The customer also mentioned the same electrician had disconnected the existing TT arrangement and connected the earth to the neutral on a TNCS but the cut out was not labelled as PME....another no no!
Not particularly happy at this point so checked the NIC paperwork for the installation to see a ZE of 0.13ohms recorded so assume correct and within specification.
The cables into the new DB had mostly been extended to reach, I assume they were all tightly and safely crimped before being wrapped in grey insulation tape not heatshrink.
So apart from unauthorised removal of the cut out fuse, unauthorised opening of a whole current meter,theft of a metering time-switch and decidedly dodgy wiring methods it was a great job.
Apologies for the picture quality.

I did exactly that, the customer's wiring and earthing arrangements are solely their responsibility beyond the cut out. It may have been best practice to have had an islolator fitted by a competent person before starting the work.

Steve, could I ask how many consumer units you've changed? Do you contact the DNO every time to come and pull out the cut out fuse before you change the board?
You never know he may have actually contacted the DNO and used reg 537.1.3 and removed the fuse whilst meeting the regulations.
As for the crimping, I would usually use heatshrink but I can't think of a reg it's breaking to use insulation tape?
He's upgraded the tails to 25mm which is a good thing. Maybe he's contacted the service provider about the missing screw in the meter?
Why don't you give him a ring and have a chat if your concerned, you can ask him directly and get some facts.
Good luck :)

Steve, could I ask how many consumer units you've changed? Do you contact the DNO every time to come and pull out the cut out fuse before you change the board?
You never know he may have actually contacted the DNO and used reg 537.1.3 and removed the fuse whilst meeting the regulations.
As for the crimping, I would usually use heatshrink but I can't think of a reg it's breaking to use insulation tape?
He's upgraded the tails to 25mm which is a good thing. Maybe he's contacted the service provider about the missing screw in the meter?
Why don't you give him a ring and have a chat if your concerned, you can ask him directly and get some facts.
Good luck :)

In the 20 years I worked contract I have lost count of the number of CUs I have replaced after cut out fires have damaged installations.
I don't need to contact the DNO to remove a cut out fuse as I am authorised to do so.
Please check the notes applied to 537.1.3 regarding authorisation from the DNO, this is not something you can get over the phone.
The use of insulation tape....agreed perfectly safe, updated cable, meets the required regs just looks messy.
Nothing on my job notes but missing screw no longer a problem after meter was replaced.
No need to take it any further, I did what was required to get the customer back onto an E7 supply and re-sealed.

Apart from the blindingly obvious problem with using tape there are regulations to cover this, and to fully comply you would need to be very careful over the choice of exactly which specification of heatshrink is used.

Apart from the blindingly obvious problem with using tape there are regulations to cover this, and to fully comply you would need to be very careful over the choice of exactly which specification of heatshrink is used.
Can you expand a bit please Dave? Is it because the insulation tape is not thick enough to offer basic insulation? Also with regard the heatsink are you talking about the different types of heatshrink? Thick glue lined as opposed to thin not glued?

Can you expand a bit please Dave? Is it because the insulation tape is not thick enough to offer basic insulation? Also with regard the heatsink are you talking about the different types of heatshrink? Thick glue lined as opposed to thin not glued?

No it’s because the glue goes off and the tape loosens, becomes a sticky mess and falls off after a few years, you must have come across this on installations?

I mean the choice of heatshrink with regards having the correct voltage rating and mechanical properties as needed, also it may need to meet standards for flammability or lsf insulation etc. Each application is going to be different and may need different materials.

Reply to Worrying activities! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net