Discuss Worst and Best parts of your day to day? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

HumbleWorker 91RT

-
Trainee
Reaction score
Alright guys and girls,

Just wondering seen as there are a lot of different types of electrical workers on here wanted to know which parts of the job day to day wise you enjoy and which parts could you really do without?

Hopefully get some decent ideas from those doing the designs to those doing the graft etc.

Cheers
HW

Finding breaks/bad joints in ring finals where there is a distinct possibility that the plum who installed it buried junction boxes within the fabric of the building.

Two RFCs I've worked on today have bad connections/breaks... could not find either of them :mad::mad::mad:

On the plus side...... Wait... Dam sounds like you've had a pretty hard day. Although tomorrow can only get better right?...

In contrast to SC, I didn't have to find my fault as the Customer told me where it was and then it fixed itself ! Well almost. "Please can you fix my double dimmer?" asked Goldilocks. "It's the devils work, all dimmers should be cast out" replied Wilko in a stern voice ... When that didn't work for me, I thought I'd better get out one of my virtually unused screwdrivers and have a look behind. It was a bit of a mess so reseated and tightened the connections to the 2 dimmers and once again they dimmed on command. That's a first for me, darn things are always fried :)

The best part today, there were two... 1. making a half decent job of filling the plasterboard I'd swiss cheesed to work my cable around dot and dab to keep it in the safety zones and 2. finding and fixing a potential fire hazard (had to crowbar a plug out of a socket due to overheating and melty meltying neutral pin on a washing machine connection).

Oh, and discovering how handy Ideal in-line splices are when extending a ring in a 25mm back box :)

BAD - Fitting 50-60 20mm blind grommets into ceiling trunking after stripping out old couplers etc using a podium leaving me with an achy neck and sore fingers
GOOD - using my 110v grinder to remove lengths of SWA from the installation
GOOD - going straight from work on motorcycle through heavy traffic to have a look at a job I can start and finish on Monday (not double time but no work no pay!)
BAD - whilst at that job I got a call about changing a couple of sockets. Call sounded suspicious but caller gave a valid address and postcode and as it was on way home-ish from where I was I tried to call bluff and said 1/2 hour. Got to address, I had been set up buy the apprentices whilst they were still driving home into Wales from Bristol. The giveaway - posh sounding Welsh accent! (No offence SC and DEs56!)
GOOD - POETS day tomorrow - breakfast at the cafe!

BAD - Fitting 50-60 20mm blind grommets into ceiling trunking after stripping out old couplers etc using a podium leaving me with an achy neck and sore fingers
GOOD - using my 110v grinder to remove lengths of SWA from the installation
GOOD - going straight from work on motorcycle through heavy traffic to have a look at a job I can start and finish on Monday (not double time but no work no pay!)
BAD - whilst at that job I got a call about changing a couple of sockets. Call sounded suspicious but caller gave a valid address and postcode and as it was on way home-ish from where I was I tried to call bluff and said 1/2 hour. Got to address, I had been set up buy the apprentices whilst they were still driving home into Wales from Bristol. The giveaway - posh sounding Welsh accent! (No offence SC and DEs56!)
GOOD - POETS day tomorrow - breakfast at the cafe!

No chance of a posh Welsh accent (or any Welsh accent) from me... I've not been here long enough to develop one. I could ring you with a posh English accent if you like :D

I'm going to be treating myself to a site transformer next week along with a 110v grinder :)

On the plus side...... Wait... Dam sounds like you've had a pretty hard day. Although tomorrow can only get better right?...

Might do, got to have a think about how to find a high resistance line connection in a RFC and figure out the underfloor heating controllers at this clients home are supposed to work. The good will be changing the broken outside lights (assuming it isn't raining) :D

No chance of a posh Welsh accent (or any Welsh accent) from me... I've not been here long enough to develop one. I could ring you with a posh English accent if you like :D

I'm going to be treating myself to a site transformer next week along with a 110v grinder :)

I love the smell, the noise, the PPE and getting to use a grinder - method statement, risk assessment and hot works permit in my armband (before @Vortigern get home)

Mmmmm, Worst thing?...Realising he seriousness of my fifteen year old lad's ambition,to go for Marine Officer training,after A levels,and our obvious early worries.....he has been helping dad, the last two weeks,and seems to think what i get up to,is more dangerous!

.....Best thing? Always the families continued health....but a second would be a phone assistance,to a pal,who was struggling to hunt down a break,in an upstairs ring....
He rang,and was at the ripping up or jackin' stage,fancy floors...arsy customers,etc
Went through the list,and asked if he had done a physical try,of everything off the ring,and he spent half an hour trying stuff....hey presto! kitchen extractor off,with ring isolated. Circuit was looped through FSU,and break was there.

Everyone felt good,and theory of two heads being better than one,even if they are sheep heads,proven again ;)

Good:
Reasonable customers who trust you implicitly, and allow you to get on with your job with no fuss.

The general satisfaction when the job is finished, and you are happy with the outcome. If I am happy with it the customer will be!!

Winning quotes that I forgot I did. I never chase them up, so it can be a pleasant surprise a month later when you get a phone call out of the blue.

Learning new skills and aspects of electrical work.

Bad:
Dirty houses where you end up sweeping up more of their mess than what you created.

Going in dodgy houses where little scallies nick your £40 torch, but you don't realise until later. Tawts!

Late payers who don't even apologise. Yeah, your card is marked and the next little job you want doing will now be costing more. And it did!!

Too much paperwork generally, although I do tend to waffle on in emails etc, so partly my fault.

The inane insane endless eic tickboxes....

The inevitable bunch of phonecalls in winter requesting outside lights being sorted. It's 4°C outside FFS!! Should get it sorted in September...

The worst bit is getting called out to scummy people's houses. I also get called out to physcho / mental health wards full of nutters, but the worst one I had was getting called out to a mortuary because they had lost all power and the bodies were decomposing because the fridges were off. Yuck.

Best, is getting home, wife and four grandkids (2-4-7-8 years, live with us) all rush up and we kiss and say hello. Worst, customer who changes his mind four times an hour, and three other trades working in a four x three meter room (chippy, gas, plasterer) Oh yeh and I am watching you @Rpa07 ton of bricks son, think about it.

Nice to see a wide variety of different work,

funny seems the hardest part of any job is other people and having to deal with them.

Hope you all are having a nice Friday and have a lovely weekend.

HW
You too thanks

Reply to Worst and Best parts of your day to day? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock