Discuss Would an extension lead from old socket and flex be ok to use? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi everybody,
Could I use an old socket and some 1.5 mm2 flex to make an extension lead, wired up to a rubber plug top? I love to use old materials up so they don't go to waste, especially old MK sockets, very robust. It could be just light duty portable power, just as and when I need it!
The picture attached is what the socket looks like, it is the exact same as this one.
Thank you, Leo :)
mk_doublesocket_switch_4fix.jpg

Hi Leo
I take you want to use the 13amp socket wired up to x no meters flex with a rubber plug top, not a good idea to be honest, there would be no covering for the live connection, along with no cable restraint, stick with a proper extension lead and if your house doesn't have RCD protection, get an extension lead with a plug in RCD. What you intend is inherently dangerous.

You may have difficulty finding backboxes with the correct arrangement of fixing holes for that type of socket. If you have any more in use in the house, I'd keep it as a spare.

All portable extension leads should be made using resilient sockets, not brittle phenolic / bakelite ones like this. In the past, there were extension leads made commercially with these, they had a custom metal box with a proper strain relief for the flex, but the sockets still tended to get broken. Also, the terminals are not designed to terminate flexible cables into. As above, use a modern rubber / unbreakable plastic socket. Sell this on eBay!

delete duplicate post

I have come across a few similar examples over the years, when doing PAT. Typically a visual "fail" as they are unfit for purpose, certainly in hard plastic that becomes easily chipped & broken. The nasty practice of knotting the cable inside the back box as a makeshift strain relief, as opposed to using a gland is crude. A plastic socket face plate is designed for indoor use as part of a fixed installation, IMO any other usage is simply the wrong tool for the job.

Reply to Would an extension lead from old socket and flex be ok to use? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net