Discuss Would you carry out this job?? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi guys,
Apologies for what may seem a simple question.
Ive been asked to do a simple job of installing a couple of sockets locally to DB. But the board has no lid/flap on it. There is RCD protection and 1x 10mm bonding to water and gas which is continuous. Ive advised client they would need to find a replacement lid or change ccu. My question is would you still install the circuit and cert that circuit if all other requirments are met. but detail recommendations with regards to flap. wether they sort it out in the future or not.

Many thanks

LH

Thanks Murdoch I guess your saying its No problem?

Ok heres the scenario I got assessment in a couple of days for NIC and I had potentially 5 jobs that I had access to but 2 of them have or will not be around on that day so its left me with 3 jobs one of which is a bit sketchy with regards to access on the day. So I want to create a back up job in case the sketchy one falls through. the only option I got in this short space of time is the scenario I first posted and wether they can fail me for there being no flap/lid.

Many thanks

LH

123, Sorry I don not have a picture at present but can tell you this the premisis is a church out building/hall which currently has 5 circuits the CCU has a metal back and plastic front cover. TNS, Tails 25mm Earth 16mm, Bonding 10mm, earth tags in place, RCDs in place with acceptable trip times & functional test pass, Ze 0.20, PFC 1.15 KA.

Many thanks

LH

Anthony brag
Yes its existing CCU 2 x rcbo protected circuits main switch side and rcd protected circuits on the other MCBs.

Westward lol I believe it may be the mcbs are!!

Last edited:
If I am correct the existing consumer unit is plastic and just has the MCB visor missing I can't see what reg this non-compies with any way they at most will put it down as a non-compliance but they have to back it up with a reg you won't fail and it certainly will not be a major.

Hi guys,
Apologies for what may seem a simple question.
Ive been asked to do a simple job of installing a couple of sockets locally to DB. But the board has no lid/flap on it. There is RCD protection and 1x 10mm bonding to water and gas which is continuous. Ive advised client they would need to find a replacement lid or change ccu. My question is would you still install the circuit and cert that circuit if all other requirments are met. but detail recommendations with regards to flap. wether they sort it out in the future or not.

Many thanks

LH

fainting.jpg

the only option I got in this short space of time is the scenario I first posted and wether they can fail me for there being no flap/lid.

They can’t fail you for this, but they can fail you for not knowing enough about the regulations to be able to answer the question for yourself.

But considering it’s the NIC all you really have to do is make sure the cheque clears.

Good luck with your assessment Littlehelper! They actually want to pass you so I'm sure you'll be fine. Even if they do find a 'non compliance', they will just ask you to fix it and then send a photo showing it has been done.... so try not to stress about it too much!

Have all your documents ready as they are more likely to find non compliances with the plethora of paperwork you are required to have..

Health and safety Policy
Risk assessment sheet
Complaints policy
PL insurance
Calibration cert
Up to date BS7671
Up to date Part P document

But again.. they will just ask you to sort it out and then pass you.

Make sure you note the flap missing on the cert.
I took the NIC inspector to a non-complaint job (a kitchen fitter had done something on a separate circuit and I noted his shoddiness), but as my work was OK, and certified, there was bonding in place all went OK

Reply to Would you carry out this job?? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net