Discuss Would you go to the aid of a police officer in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Midwest

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
The BBC posted this video this morning, this version is a bit blurry;
Top cop condemns people who cheered while police struggled to arrest suspect - https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/top-cop-condemns-people-who-13099214

Plenty of people stood around, people driving past, and it appears no one offered assistance to the male & female officer.

In these circumstances would you offer to help? I would of. And if all those stood around filming or laughing had, perhaps these two officers wouldn't of received their injuries.

Your thoughts.

Know somebody in Edinburgh when on a afternoon out saw a copper getting hit by some drunk, being a squaddie, he had no reservations going to the officers aid, got a nice commendation and letter for his efforts, I think it comes down to whether you are prepared to basically get stuck in and put yourself at possible risk, others I know would run the other way. Personally, If i saw them getting attacked then yes I would as they are afterall doing a job to protect us, they may not always get it right etc but 99.9% of them are decent folk

It's a well known thing (sadly), the bystander effect, where the more people who witness something that needs intervention, the less likely people are to intervene. Bystander effect - Wikipedia - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bystander_effect
All the people saying they would would be from a normal town but in London you're lucky if anyone makes eye contact!
Although someone did get run over by a taxi last year and someone shouted let's lift it off, and everyone helped out that time, so it's not all bad!

You do the right thing, I would helped never have helped a Police officer though.

Had a couple of small things that I got involved in like a woman being pestered in the street by some bloke so I intervened and told her to walk away, turns out the bloke had mental health issues and wanted to talk to someone so I talked to him gave him some advice ant that was that.

The other time was when I was in my local nearing closing time and I was at the bar and got talking to some lass just being friendly, some guy walks over (turns out to be her) boyfriend and calls her a ---- and slaps her she's in tears so I thump him a coupes of times and this Liverpudlian runs over and he looks like he knows how to fight, she explains the situation I got thrown out and banned for the weekend.........

Funniest thing is a year later walk in to the same bar and spot the Liverpudlian, it seems she dumped her boyfriend on the spot and her and Liverpudlian where getting married.

In principal yes, in practice no I don't think I am up to it. However I do respect these guys, they are doing a very difficult job with very little support it seems. Should have called for assistance. And what will happen to the guy being arrested? Very little I imagine. Not very nice for those officers who went to so much trouble.

Generally speaking I like to think of myself as a helpful person, whether it be assisting with the carrying of something heavy, helping an old lady across the road or giving advice on an internet forum.

Unfortunately I have in the past found myself in situations where I have needed the help of the police but been left with a feeling that they could have done a lot more; on other occasions I have been left feeling the officer involved could have been a lot more professional and polite.
If I tell people this their default response seems to be to jump to the defence of the police saying they do a difficult job, I would be glad of their help if I needed it, even that it's not the job of the police to be liked "by criminals", meaning if I felt they had been rude or unhelpful then they were actually doing a good job.

This has left me in a position where I have been defaulted on the side against the police, despite them having never found cause to arrest me.
I don't consider myself to be a criminal, but at the same time I seem to be in a third place where the police don't want me on their side.
I suppose you could say I would help the police by not hindering them.

Well I have always been the guy to help any one don't care if its men fighting or a man hitting a women or even a woman hitting a man, always try and calm things and stop it I have seen 2 people end up in hospital in my time just by one hit so best to stop it before any one ends up in hospital. but also I did try and help a copper once when I was 20 yr old while I was walking to the next night club the officer was struggling to keep the bloke down to cuff him and I went over to help and tried to hold him down and as I did that I got grabbed from behind with a arm around my throat coking me so thinking not was his mate or someone I started defending my self and ended up punching him to realise it was another copper thinking I was trying to hurt his co worker and io ended up getting arrested and ended up spending the night in cells and was only when they looked at the cctv the next day that they released me with no charge. so to be honest unless the copper was being battered I don't think I would step in again.
Sorry for the essay

Reply to Would you go to the aid of a police officer in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net