Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss Would you replace a 25 year old fire alarm panel if still working? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Bob Geldoff1234

Bob Geldoff1234 Regular EF Member

Have there been any major changes in fire alarm systems in the past 25 years?
    The reason i ask is i have just had a customer on the phone that is saying that the company who service the fire alarm system for a church hall says that the panel must be replaced as it's 25 years old.

Now as far as i'm aware it's fully working with monitored zones and separate bell circuits and has been tested and passed for the past 25 years.
    He is quoting £1000 to change the panel.

I personally think he's trying it on but i'd thought i'd ask on here first in case there are any new rules that stipulate the the panel would have to be changed.The batteries were only changed last year so are still fully working.
    What do you guys think?

2. buzzlightyear

buzzlightyear still kicking sand, before pushing up daisies . Electrician's Arms

if is working ,why change it . has long its been serviced .
    do you not think how many fire alarms over 25years in this country.

3. westward10

westward10 In echoed steps I walk across an empty dream. Electrician's Arms

BS5839:1 offers no life expectancy for a control panel. It would be interesting to know their reasons. Modern panels may offer greater flexibility and reductions in false alarms but if the existing panel is providing compliance with BS5839:1 I see no reason to change it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Bob Geldoff1234

Thanks guys.My thoughts exactly.The price to change it set alarm bells ringing:moneybag:(no pun intended!:p).It's over double what i would think it would cost.I am going tomorrow to do some PAT testing so i will take some photo's of the panel and post back here tomorrow night.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Bob Geldoff1234

Here are the photo's of the alarm panel in question and also the engineers report.

20180403_132959.jpg 20180403_140114.jpg 20180403_140128.jpg 20180403_133010.jpg

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. westward10

westward10 In echoed steps I walk across an empty dream. Electrician's Arms

Interesting, still see plenty of those panels in use and the most common failing is the membrane over the function buttons but they generally still operate, that one does not look too bad. I wonder if they can give proof it has exceeded the manufacturers service life.

7. LeeH

LeeH Insert witty monkey comment here. Electrician's Arms

Is the manufacturer still about to verify the ‘25 year service life’?

Edit westy beat me to it.

8. Nolnoc

Nolnoc Regular EF Member

They would not comply in a new installation but in an existing installation they should be fine

9. timbobelfast

timbobelfast Electrician's Arms

Sounds like the 'service engineer' is on commission. If only the equipment of today would last 25 years instead of the tatt that is about.