Discuss Would you report this to NICEIC in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Hawk81

-
Reaction score
My mates father inlaw is a building contractor and has built 4 new houses. One of which my mate has moved into two years ago. My mate was having bother with his RCD tripping so he asked me to have a look at it. To cut a long story short i found lots of faults in the house. Like the upstairs and downstairs rings mixed up and wired into the wrong mcb so i had to switch off 2 mcbs to isolate either circuit. The upstairs ring was broken and after much investigation it turned out to be a socket in behind the plaster board had been missed. Surely if the proper testing was done this would have been noticed earlier. Other problems in the house include ELV lights throughout do not have juntion boxes but instead have strip connectors just lying in the ceilings. Smoke alarm circuit wired in FP200 2 core and earth with the earth used as the link, not as an earth. So i rectified all these problems and tested and all fine now. But my mates sister in law has just moved into one of the other houses and guess what. Same problems again (EVEN THE MISSING SOCKET!!! different room this time:eek:). I have not done anything to rectify her faults yet. The guy that wired these houses is a regesterd NICEIC domestic installer. So would you tell them to check him out and to get him to rectify all faults at his own exspense.

You have given him a chance now the only other option is to report him.

Take photos get as much as you can do the work that needs doing and then show them the 2 different test certs and then let the niceic take it from there I would also be talking to the builder and let him know what has been going on you just don't no how many other houses this guy has done and you never know it might work out for you with more work

Have you managed to pass your eyes over any of the paperwork?

I've reported companies to the NICEIC before and there complaints procedure is very ineffective.
One occasion was a housing association, my cousin moved in and I was shocked with the findings. The house had been part rewired, and the installation certificate was left on site with the completion pack. All the data was incorrect, and the qs section hadn't been filled.
I tried to be civil and went to there depot with the paperwork for the qs to review it and return it later, only to have the door slammed in my face. I collected evidence with the NIC and visited site with a lady from both the NIC and the housing association. I took a couple of days to complete my report.
Anyhow, the conclusion is that the housing association have not reissued the paperwork, or rectified the problems after more than 6 months.
The NIC did however, fine them for their time (£1800).

Reply to Would you report this to NICEIC in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net