Discuss Yellow 240v extension reel?? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all,
Today I was given a yellow 240v extension reel to use.
Now if I'm not mistaken yellow flex indicates 110v.
So how does this comply?
If I was to use this on a construction site everybody would assume it is 110v whereas in reality it's not it's 240v!
Thoughts please :)
Yellow 240v extension reel?? {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Re: Yellow 240v extension feel??

Hi all,
Today I was given a yellow 240v extension reel to use.
Now if I'm not mistaken yellow flex indicates 110v.
So how does this comply?
If I was to use this on a construction site everybody would assume it is 110v whereas in reality it's not it's 240v!
Thoughts please :)
Yellow 240v extension reel?? {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

My thoughts???

As a poorly and skint auld Geordie gadgee, if somebody gave me a cable reel free gratis it could be sky blue pink with yellow dots all over it as long as when ye put the leccy in one end it comes oot the other!

Never look a gift horse in the mouth bonny lad! :wink_smile:

My thoughts???

As a poorly and skint auld Geordie gadgee, if somebody gave me a cable reel free gratis it could be sky blue pink with yellow dots all over it as long as when ye put the leccy in one end it comes oot the other!

Never look a gift horse in the mouth bonny lad! :wink_smile:

I was only given it to use, but my concern is for safety.
As I said in the earlier post, if this was to be used on a construction site it would be deemed dangerous.
I was just asking what people thought about it.

I remember as a first year apprentice i got a yellow 240v extension lead to match the dewalt drill. The JCB livery is also yellow and black.

Well if you are concerned about it being dangerous give it too someone else who wont mind using it. As for building sites, how do you plan on plugging it into a 110v transformer?

As I said in the earlier post, if this was to be used on a construction site it would be deemed dangerous.

And now you know you're wondering why you bothered!! :sailor:

That's a nice file you got lying beside it. Is it an 8" *******? I can't tell from here.

Edit: that swear word filter is out of order!! ... . I was NOT swearing. B'stard is a legitimate name for a certain type of file!!

http://www.kuusport.ca/product/quality-mill-*******-file-10-250mm/

Last edited by a moderator:

Well if you are concerned about it being dangerous give it too someone else who wont mind using it. As for building sites, how do you plan on plugging it into a 110v transformer?
thats the beauty of it, lock it in a cupboard with the plug going under a locked door and nobody needs to know its 230

who cares what colour it is, you wouldn't use it on sites that only allow 110

Last edited:

Pray tell me how doe you get a 110v plug into a 230v 13A socket also 230v 13A plug into a 110v socket?

And now you know you're wondering why you bothered!! :sailor:

That's a nice file you got lying beside it. Is it an 8" *******? I can't tell from here.

Edit: that swear word filter is out of order!! ... . I was NOT swearing. B'stard is a legitimate name for a certain type of file!!

http://www.kuusport.ca/product/quality-mill-*******-file-10-250mm/
nah. that file in his pic is a smooth.

Pray tell me how doe you get a 110v plug into a 230v 13A socket also 230v 13A plug into a 110v socket?

You don't! I never said you could, generators are fitted with 230v sockets as well as 110v sockets therefore you would be able to use this extension lead on a construction site, and other tradesmen would be under the impression it was 230v until they saw the sockets on the reel!
At the end of the day they shouldn't be made with yellow arctic flex!

You don't! I never said you could, generators are fitted with 230v sockets as well as 110v sockets therefore you would be able to use this extension lead on a construction site, and other tradesmen would be under the impression it was 230v until they saw the sockets on the reel!
At the end of the day they shouldn't be made with yellow arctic flex!

...But if you plugged it in to the 240v outlet,probably via a 16/13 converter,you would still only have 240v at the reel....as you should...

Biggest danger this offers on site?........Tripping hazard...next question...:yes:

...But if you plugged it in to the 240v outlet,probably via a 16/13 converter,you would still only have 240v at the reel....as you should...

Biggest danger this offers on site?........Tripping hazard...next question...:yes:

At lest with yellow it stands out more LOL

Put a sticker on it stating the voltage...... Problem solved.... :)

Reply to Yellow 240v extension reel?? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock