Discuss Yes a bonding question! in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

Penance

Been to look at a job today, initially adding 3 dso's to ring final.
Was checking the CU and yes there is no main bond to the incoming water.
The water enters a utility room thru a concrete floor, stop cock and around 2' of copper pipe before changing to plastic pushfit stuff.
The plastic runs for about 10' and reverts to copper.

You know what I'm going to ask!
Does the small length of incoming metal water pipe require bonding back to the MET?

I once had a disagreement with an NICEIC area engineer on a newish house that was entirely plastic including the water company's blue pipe. I had to retake some floor boards up to prove a point!! Then he just mumbled and moved on to some thing else

Difficult one here

This is the guidance on the subject

If the incoming pipes are made of plastic, but the
pipes within the electrical installation are made of
metal, the main bonding must be carried out. The
bonding being applied on the customer side of any
meter, main stopcock or insulating insert and of
course to the metal pipes of the installation.

If the incoming services are made of plastic and
the pipework within the building is of plastic then
no main bonding is required. If some of the
services are of metal and some are of plastic, then
those that are of metal must be main bonded.

The part I underlined may be applicable

You can test to see if its extraeneous
or take the advise that appears to say yes it does need man bonding

Des that's fairly much what I was looking at, does seem a bit vague.

Sorry, using phone to view forum and it's not showing anything underlined.

I will be checking the other pipe work to see if it is extrenuous, no mft at the mo but one on way before I commence any work.

I had a similar scenario recently. A supposedly all plastic installation. When i got back to the job, after some time away there was an abundance of copper. When i tested it for continuity between my main earth terminal it read >1999.
When i put my insulation resistance tester on it read 0.00MΩ so i ran a M.E.B to it. Luckily it was not to difficult to get one there

Spoke to chap this morning and he's agreed to having the bonding sorted along with the extra sockets, also added outside light and loft lights to the list, nice result.

Reply to Yes a bonding question! in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net