Discuss Your background in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net

K

Knobhead

I know I’ve run this thread before but I’ve just found some new photo’s of where I worked. This was a normal Sunday nights start up. I used to love this, the biggest fireworks display ever. I’ve had new engineers run terrified from it. An electrical and mechanical engineer had to be immediately to hand if anything went wrong.

It’s a cupola furnace for melting iron. When it first starts the body of the iron well has to be “gently” warmed up. About 1000°C at this point
View attachment 10912

As it goes on to about 1200°C and we’re getting somewhere. Still not hot enough though.
View attachment 10913

Iron is starting to flow at about 1450°C. You can see the globules of iron carried in the flame.
View attachment 10914

Finally the fireworks stop and a steady flow of iron comes out of the well at 1550°C.
View attachment 10915

OK I was a rotten sod with the newbies, but it amused the lads on the plant to see them panic. But they had to be able to cope with it when needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes.
I'm off to Madrid on Thursday and I can't find my passport.
We've ripped the house apart. Expensive trip to Liverpool for me to get a new one.

Yes.
I'm off to Madrid on Thursday and I can't find my passport.
We've ripped the house apart. Expensive trip to Liverpool for me to get a new one.
I always putting my driving license and passport somewhere safe. Usually because I have used it for the growing number of places that want ID

my dad use to work at the steel works at cambuslang In those days you could take your Boy along to see the manly job you did
as he was shift supervisor
after there he went to the"Craig" for a wee while until recently I never realised what a "strip mill" did there was a tv documentry about ther craig starting at the IN end with a white hot massive lump of steel and ending at the roll end with a ginormous roll of 1mm thick 5mile long sheet of steel rolled up Alll the bits inbetween looked like guy falks night it was dirty smelly heavy work but hundreds and hundreds of guys worked there and worked hard they played even harder
One of the other memories of dads work was standing in the crowd with Jake Jimmy Danny Boab ect and my dad the day they brought the cooling towers down it was a very sad day Not only did I witness these "hard men" openly cry but looking back I also witnessed the ending of generations of employment gone for ever to be replaced with NOTHING it seems every big industrial site around glasgow now has a shopping center The forge at parkhead Tesco StRollox ( rail works) Breahead ( power station ) The science center is built on part of the ship yards
Old industrial sparks (like you tony) will have seen a large amount of change some good some bad and a lot forgotten
Crackin photos btw

Reply to Your background in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net