Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

3. Forum for Trainees.

If you are a trainee and haven’t already applied to join our trainee forum then click HERE The trainee forum is a closed area of the forum where the Forum Mentors will freely share their vast experience within the industry. 

Dismiss Notice

Discuss Your background in the Commercial Electrical Talk area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Knobhead

Knobhead Guest

I know I’ve run this thread before but I’ve just found some new photo’s of where I worked. This was a normal Sunday nights start up. I used to love this, the biggest fireworks display ever. I’ve had new engineers run terrified from it. An electrical and mechanical engineer had to be immediately to hand if anything went wrong.

It’s a cupola furnace for melting iron. When it first starts the body of the iron well has to be “gently” warmed up. About 1000°C at this point
    View attachment 10912

As it goes on to about 1200°C and we’re getting somewhere. Still not hot enough though.
    View attachment 10913

Iron is starting to flow at about 1450°C. You can see the globules of iron carried in the flame.
    View attachment 10914

Finally the fireworks stop and a steady flow of iron comes out of the well at 1550°C.
    View attachment 10915

OK I was a rotten sod with the newbies, but it amused the lads on the plant to see them panic. But they had to be able to cope with it when needed.

• Like Like x 4
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2012
  2. Archy Styrigg

Archy Styrigg Electrician's Arms

3. Archy Styrigg

P1000571smaller.jpg

This was taken from Liverpool docks looking towards the power station, I think.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Knobhead

Knobhead Guest

Had a bad day then?

5. Archy Styrigg

Yes.
    I'm off to Madrid on Thursday and I can't find my passport.
    We've ripped the house apart. Expensive trip to Liverpool for me to get a new one.

6. Archy Styrigg

OK Tony, as promised, some more...

Z1.jpg Z2.jpg Z3.jpg Z4.jpg Z5.jpg Z6.jpg Z7.jpg Z8.jpg Z9.jpg Z10.jpg Z11.jpg Z12.jpg Z13.jpg

Oh aye, found it! Adiós baby!

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  7. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Guest

Cant work out if you where a ships engineer or a stowaway,last pic's taken from the view of someone hiding.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  8. cablemonkey

cablemonkey Guest

I always putting my driving license and passport somewhere safe. Usually because I have used it for the growing number of places that want ID

9. mogga

mogga Just me Electrician's Arms

my dad use to work at the steel works at cambuslang In those days you could take your Boy along to see the manly job you did
    as he was shift supervisor
    after there he went to the"Craig" for a wee while until recently I never realised what a "strip mill" did there was a tv documentry about ther craig starting at the IN end with a white hot massive lump of steel and ending at the roll end with a ginormous roll of 1mm thick 5mile long sheet of steel rolled up Alll the bits inbetween looked like guy falks night it was dirty smelly heavy work but hundreds and hundreds of guys worked there and worked hard they played even harder
    One of the other memories of dads work was standing in the crowd with Jake Jimmy Danny Boab ect and my dad the day they brought the cooling towers down it was a very sad day Not only did I witness these "hard men" openly cry but looking back I also witnessed the ending of generations of employment gone for ever to be replaced with NOTHING it seems every big industrial site around glasgow now has a shopping center The forge at parkhead Tesco StRollox ( rail works) Breahead ( power station ) The science center is built on part of the ship yards
    Old industrial sparks (like you tony) will have seen a large amount of change some good some bad and a lot forgotten
    Crackin photos btw

10. QSGAZ

QSGAZ Guest

DSC01167.jpg i work in telecomms, good thing cables are well marked.