Discuss Your first embarrasing jobs.., in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Darkwood

Staff member
Mod
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
Ok I'll start ...because I only got 26quid a week on my apprenticeship I took a job at a recently then opened Cinema complex 'Showcase' in Leeds ..got fast tracked to head usher then was asked about management training... Asking how much I declined Expressing I'll be on more in 18months ..lol

Had a great time, never took it seriously and watch all the films for free, saw the ending of ghost and Terminator II 30 odd times before seeing the films (sometimes the downside of the job) but had the best laughs and would do it again on the same crappy wage :smile5:

In my late teens I had yet to decide my career path and took a succession of unskilled agency jobs between college terms and travelling.
The worst I had was working in a crouton factory. The bread loaves went in at one end of the production line and then got diced and toasted. I had the job of staring at a conveyor and picking out the burnt ones. That job lasted one 8 hour shift !
Not my first job by any means but certainly the most embarrassing.

EDIT: Oh unless of course you count the job I had where I had to dip the fish fillets in the yellow dye before they went into the smoking ovens at the fish processing plant. That was another one shift wonder.

:(

Last edited:
First was a dishwasher, was so good at it I ended up making deserts as well....got barred from the pub due to catching the boss out on not paying staff correct

On odd occasions I also helped out on a farm creating up turkeys, crap job, nobody really talked to me after I had the sense to wear a dust mask doing it the second time around either.

The there was domestic sparking....

In my late teens I had yet to decide my career path and took a succession of unskilled agency jobs between college terms and travelling.
The worst I had was working in a crouton factory. The bread loaves went in at one end of the production line and then got diced and toasted. I had the job of staring at a conveyor and picking out the burnt ones. That job lasted one 8 hour shift !
Not my first job by any means but certainly the most embarrassing.

EDIT: Oh unless of course you count the job I had where I had to dip the fish fillets in the yellow dye before they went into the smoking ovens at the fish processing plant. That was another one shift wonder.

:(
Im getting the impression you're patience isn't your strength lol... but at least you stuck one shift out.:smile:

Last edited:
...Oohh,many to chose from,but here's an example....a mates dad asked if we knew our way around a chainsaw,when i was about 14,so "yep,no probs..." He then qualified the request..."Right,there's a fallen beast (=Dead horse) round the back,chop it up into freezer sized pieces,for the hunt kennels....and try not to make a mess..."

To date,no horror film or accident has,whether real or CGI generated,has come close to the picture before me,when i turned off that saw...

Bon apetite :yes:

the worst place i have worked is a pig farm, pulling cables in the birthing shed is horrible, the air is that humid you can feel water in the air and after a couple hours it takes weeks of fresh air to be able to smell again.

ive been on farms etc before and there not a problem, this place absolutely stunk though, didnt smell a thing when i took a wrong turn past the outdoor incinerator.

other than that, crawling under a mezaline floor on the snow and ice in january is quite high on the list, had to stop quite often to wring my socks out

Last edited:
The cinema job sounds alright. My first job was shovelling sh*t in a stable. I remember i also had to dig a grave with another fella. Unfortunately the ground was very poor and we couldn't really get deep enough so when we buried the animal the ground felt spongey underneath we only had about 5inches of earth on the grave. It was a nightmare from keeping the dog from wanting to dig it up.

On the same job we were sent to paint a fence with cresote, of course i got more of it on me than the bloody fence, the sun reacted with the creosote and managed to burn the face of me.

Still it was an introduction to the world of work and it was £15/20 a day and i could act the big man at school and boast about all the "real man's" work i could do

I lugged bricks around at weekends for a local builder from 14-16. Then started my apprenticeship, the rest as they say is history.

I lugged bricks around at weekends for a local builder from 14-16. Then started my apprenticeship, the rest as they say is history.
i did that for a bit when we were having down time, its not too bad but mixing cement all day tires you out, especially when you're getting through 1.5-2 tonnes of sand a day

I remember my hands after I just started being cut to ribbons before they hardened up.

It was hard graft, I loved it though. Young lad getting to listen in to the site banter. I had whole new insults and vocabulary ready for school when the weekend was over!

Im getting the impression you're patience isn't your strength lol... but at least you stuck one shift out.:smile:

I have plenty of patience nowadays. Let's just say I have always had a keen sense of which jobs have best suited my personality. :D

All my family are travelling showmen, so from the age of 5 I would bag fish with my grandma, bag 2p's up for my dad as we had an amusement arcade, clean the rides, fill the lorries with diesel, build up and pull down the rides, constantly repairing the lighting set( generator), and once the fair was open have as many free rides and food as I wanted as even though we aren't all related in the showmen industry we are one massive family, now my parents own a traditional sweet shop, the best childhood ever

Morrisons in Keighley stacking shelves, '92-'93, 5 hours Friday evening and 10 hours on Saturday. £2.09/hour. Good laugh Friday evening once the stop had shut - tended to be bog rolls flying around, but sometimes harder, more volatile missiles. Long shifts just before Christmas - 5pm-2am a couple of times, then start again at 8am, working until 7 or 8pm. Good laugh, though, we all cracked on to get the job done.

A skill I learnt in that job that has served me well ever since - after the first couple of smashed pickle jars, I learnt to stick out my foot whenever summat fell - usually, it would break the fall sufficiently to prevent breakage. Handy life skill - until you drop a kitchen knife in your slippers... The reflex reaction isn't as fast nowadays, but I'm a lot more selective! :)

I was an paper boy, then got into this game when 15 as Saturday boy, and school hols, been playing ever since.

My first job was lining fish boxes in my mates dads factory after school and Saturdays. Wasn't to bad but it was stinking. Next job was delivering groceries to the fishing boats. Dangerous work. Then I worked Saturday's in a local hardware shop. I loved it, done it while serving my time at the sparking. Had to top up my £30 a week apprenticeship.

Reply to Your first embarrasing jobs.., in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock