Discuss You've got to turn these things into a positive! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I'm all set to fit my 8 downlights at the customers house. I texted the builder the night before to make sure he wouldn't be in the way, he's already said he wouldn't but I wanted to double check. No reply so I assume all is well.

I get to the job and he's plastering right were I need to work!

So... I grumble a bit, then calm down, then go home, go for a cycle ride in the country, drink a coffee, read my book and then write about it to you lot:)

The builder has just lent me his SDS max and also a few other tools as well so I can't really moan can I, he's a pretty decent chap and I get to have a day off:)

All turned out well then. The builder would have been moaning if you had drilled and fitted them before he skimmed.

Yes he would Andy!

Just as a matter of interest, this builder puts the plasterboard up and plasters with my cables hidden behind (i.e he doesn't make any hole or marking so I know where my cables are. I'm ok with this as you don't want a hole in the plaster as it's a right pain to get a grip with a hole saw. However, it does mean I have to make a fairly accurate and time consuming drawing of the joist positions/measurements and also where i've left cables as they will be hidden.

How do you lot do it?

Yes he would Andy!

Just as a matter of interest, this builder puts the plasterboard up and plasters with my cables hidden behind (i.e he doesn't make any hole or marking so I know where my cables are. I'm ok with this as you don't want a hole in the plaster as it's a right pain to get a grip with a hole saw. However, it does mean I have to make a fairly accurate and time consuming drawing of the joist positions/measurements and also where i've left cables as they will be hidden.

How do you lot do it?

I do it exactly like that. Make a drawing double checking measurements taking into account things like future wall thicknesses which may alter measurements. Take a clear photo of the measurements. Phone backs up photo to dropbox. Job's a good 'un.

How do you lot do it?

Isn’t that how everyone does it?

Isn’t that how everyone does it?
Hold on, let me just pop that question up on a forum and ask. Oh, I just did;)
I'm getting bored Dave, hence having a bit of a chat about whats on my mind, however mundane.

I do it exactly like that. Make a drawing double checking measurements taking into account things like future wall thicknesses which may alter measurements. Take a clear photo of the measurements. Phone backs up photo to dropbox. Job's a good 'un.
Cheers Andy, yes.. I've just taken off 4mm off all my measurements as I hadn't accounted for plaster!
Right, I think I'm off to the shed to tidy it up and drink more coffee!

As builders and plasterers don’t care about me, I don’t care about them.
Once upon a time I used to leave my cables coiled up waiting for the builder to put up the plasterboard and plaster. Then I would return with my trusted drawing and cut my holes for the downlights.
Too many times the cables were trapped between board and joist, or had been moved by the builder, or other trades and were impossible to retrieve.
Now I come and cut my holes after boarding but before plastering (plasterers hate this but I don’t give a monkey’s). At least then I can chop a chunk out of the ceiling if somebody has taken liberties with my lovely cables.

As above - I always try and drill the downlight holes before plastering - so if I have to cut bits down, the plasterer doesn't have to do 2 visits!

I just do as I'm told. Usually drill holes after plastering, and sometimes before painter or after painter.

Don't see the point of wasting time finding out where the centre of a room is, when you're concentrating on where your downlights are gonna be, specifically missing joists & pipes. I find using the point between the wall & ceiling a far better datum point.

PS I did try the ol' cables dangling through the plasterboard ceiling trick, but the plasters just push the cables back up into the ceiling & plastered over.

I record the measurements in my little black book, not on a sheet of paper that you can lose (like I did!).

And despite having measurements I also put my trusty bradawl up through the downlighter hole centre and around the edge at 90 degree intervals before attacking it with the holesaw.

Bit of coat hanger bent at 90 degrees into an L shape with the short bit the same as the radius of your downlight hole. Insert short end into centre hole and rotate to check for obstructions. :D

On one job where we couldn't trust the dry-liners to leave our cables in situ we ended up cutting out before plaster. It actually worked a treat and didn't make fitting the down-lights or fans any more difficult. Any mistakes were quickly filled before plastering and we could drop a board if needed, i prefer it this way now.

The best way for us really would be to do the holes in the plasterboard before skimming but you try to help others, they then proceed to reduce your 75mm hole to about 20mm with plaster so you can't really win anyway.:)

Bit of coat hanger bent at 90 degrees into an L shape with the short bit the same as the radius of your downlight hole. Insert short end into centre hole and rotate to check for obstructions. :D
The old metal coat hanger:relaxed:. If my van got stolen I could replace the £1000 megger and £1000's of tools, but...... I'd have to revisit old Mrs Adington from a job 4 years ago to replace the old metal coat hanger. She was more than happy to give me a couple but I think she thought I was a bit odd for asking:)

I don't carry coat hangers but always have 2.5mm cable - so 1 core bent at the radius of the "breathing" space for the downlight and check it rotates 360 degrees ............

The old metal coat hanger:relaxed:. If my van got stolen I could replace the £1000 megger and £1000's of tools, but...... I'd have to revisit old Mrs Adington from a job 4 years ago to replace the old metal coat hanger. She was more than happy to give me a couple but I think she thought I was a bit odd for asking:)

You're not alone mate, I've asked for one on a job before too, not Mrs Adington though, she'd given away her last two apparently.... :D

Reply to You've got to turn these things into a positive! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net