Discuss Zafira b intermittent starting problem - strange behaviour in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Apologies up front for the long post. I thought I'd try to include as much info as I can.

I am looking for some advice/suggestions any of you might have concerning an annoying intermittent fault I am having with a 2006 Zafira B. The engine is the Z16XEP version.

The car will start a few times in a row no problem and once started will run all day hot or cold. No management or warning lights of any kind are present. Then, every now and again when attempting to start the car, the engine will crank 3 times and then just stop by itself. The ECU then becomes unresponsive and no scanner will connect to it. If I turn the key at this point nothing happens at all, no click or response of any kind. If I turn the key off wait 30 seconds it is fine for the next few turns until it happens again. At this point, the management light is on. A scan provides a long list of error codes that I suspect has more to do with the ECU losing connectivity than anything else.

Codes are:
P0201-P0204 - Cylinder 1,2,3,4 malfunction
P0230 fuel pump primary circuit low
P0650 IPC message range/performance
P1550 Electronic throttle control reduced power
P1600 Replace electronic control unit (ECU)
U2103 Can-Bus node no communication
U2104 Can-Bus reset counter overrun
U2108 Invalid data from ABS system
U2139 Can-Bus No communication with CIM
All of these codes are listed as not present. If I clear the codes they all remain cleared for a few days until the starting problem happens again.

Things I have tried:
Replaced battery and starter motor
Replaced engine ECU and reprogrammed it
Replaced key fob battery and replaced relays in the fuse box
Stripped and cleaned under bonnet fuse box
Visually checked earth straps and tugged on them (not in-depth though)
Temporarily disconnected the ABS module

None of this has made the slightest difference. Thankfully this is my personal car so I have time to mess about with it.

Anybody had something similar or have any suggestions? I am not really sure where to go from here.

Many thanks in advance

you have tried most of the thing that I would suggest other than removing and cleaning all the earth strap lugs and cleaning the battery posts and terminals

Possible immobiliser issue? Just as you mentioned it cranks 3 times then stops, I had a pug 406 that would just crank and crank....but not fire up, although mine had a key symbol light come up on dash.

Thank you all for the replies so far.

you have tried most of the thing that I would suggest other than removing and cleaning all the earth strap lugs and cleaning the battery posts and terminals

loplug, I was thinking that the earth straps need a proper looking at, I'll get onto that next I think.

Possible immobiliser issue? Just as you mentioned it cranks 3 times then stops, I had a pug 406 that would just crank and crank....but not fire up, although mine had a key symbol light come up on dash.

KEV 1 N, I have considered this hence why I changed the battery in the keyfob etc. Although the immobilizer light will normally flicker if there is a problem. There are no immobilizer related error codes coming up on my scanner either. Still, I'll recheck it just to be sure, thanks.

FFS, take it to a scrap dealers if you can not get it to work. :D

buzzlightyear, this is sadly the destination for the car should I not be able to resolve the issue. I would very much like resolution though since I have already spent so much time trying to locate the problem.

i'd be looking for a bad "earth". battery to engine block is a favorite.

Good news, I found the problem :)

It was the ECU earth cable. I attached an earth from the negative terminal on the battery directly to the ECU and it has been working properly all night.

This is highly frustrating as the earth cable was one of the first things I checked weeks ago when this problem first started. The old cable was tight and firmly secured with no signs of corrosion or damage. When I put the old earth back the problems started again. So it definitely looks like it was an earth issue.

Thanks all for your patience and input.

Reply to Zafira b intermittent starting problem - strange behaviour in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock