Discuss Ze testing in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

yes. read the instructions. i think with the fluke, this is a 3 lead test, but don't quote me on that.

Safely isolate the installation at the Main Switch and prove ‘dead’, lock-off and post warning signs. Disconnect the Earthing Conductor from the MET.
To measure Ze loop impedance—Hi current trip mode:
1. Turn the rotary switch to the 5[SUP]th[/SUP] mode Z[SUB]l[/SUB] Trip position.
2. Connect all three leads to the L, PE, and N (red, green, and blue) terminals of the tester.
3. Press F1 to select L-PE. The open switch symbol appears to indicate that hi current trip mode is selected.
4. Before you do a loop impedance test, use the zero adapter to zero the test leads or the mains cord. Press and hold Zero button for more than two seconds until the ZERO annunciator appears. The tester measures the lead resistance, stores the reading in memory, and subtracts it from readings. The resistance value is saved even when the power is turned off so it is unnecessary to repeat the operation each time you use the tester with the same test leads or mains cord.
Note:- Be sure the batteries are in good condition before you zero the test leads.
5. Connect all three leads. Red to the incoming L at the Main Switch and Blue to the incoming N at the Main Switch and Green to the Earthing Conductor of the installation under test.
6. Press and release the Test button. Wait for the test to complete.
The primary (upper) display shows the loop impedance.
7. If the supply is too noisy, Err 5 will be displayed. Press the down arrow U to display the measured value. Press the up arrow U to return to the Err 5 display. Note:- This value is unreliable because the measured accuracy is degraded by the noise and should not be recorded on the test documentation.
This test will take several seconds to complete. If the supply is disconnected while the test is active, the test automatically terminates.
Reconnect the Earthing Conductor to the MET immediately after test.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thought MFTs were supposed to be used by competent users, says so in the instruction doesn't it?

I'm with Amp David on this.

No offence intended but if you don't know how to carry out the test and which instrument you should use then you shouldn't be doing it IMO.

Safely isolate the installation at the Main Switch and prove ‘dead’, lock-off and post warning signs. Disconnect the Earthing Conductor from the MET.
To measure Ze loop impedance—Hi current trip mode:
1. Turn the rotary switch to the 5[SUP]th[/SUP] mode Z[SUB]l[/SUB] Trip position.
2. Connect all three leads to the L, PE, and N (red, green, and blue) terminals of the tester.
3. Press F1 to select L-PE. The open switch symbol appears to indicate that hi current trip mode is selected.
4. Before you do a loop impedance test, use the zero adapter to zero the test leads or the mains cord. Press and hold Zero button for more than two seconds until the ZERO annunciator appears. The tester measures the lead resistance, stores the reading in memory, and subtracts it from readings. The resistance value is saved even when the power is turned off so it is unnecessary to repeat the operation each time you use the tester with the same test leads or mains cord.
Note:- Be sure the batteries are in good condition before you zero the test leads.
5. Connect all three leads. Red to the incoming L at the Main Switch and Blue to the incoming N at the Main Switch and Green to the Earthing Conductor of the installation under test.
6. Press and release the Test button. Wait for the test to complete.
The primary (upper) display shows the loop impedance.
7. If the supply is too noisy, Err 5 will be displayed. Press the down arrow U to display the measured value. Press the up arrow U to return to the Err 5 display. Note:- This value is unreliable because the measured accuracy is degraded by the noise and should not be recorded on the test documentation.
This test will take several seconds to complete. If the supply is disconnected while the test is active, the test automatically terminates.
Reconnect the Earthing Conductor to the MET immediately after test.
come on Mark....what happened to first asking permission from the person ordering the test...or any other interested parties?.....i know you know this....

this sparky game is easy and if you get any bother go on the electricians forum and some clown will bail you out and you dont even have to send in a picture

Reply to Ze testing in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net