Discuss Ze/Zs of 3 phase supply in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hey all, going over some testing before my final assesment. i've heard a couple of times when testing a 3 phase supply using a single phase to earth test you double the reading as your Ze/Zs, so if you test L1-E=0.07 Zs=0.14. also what i have done until now is test all three Lines to earth and recorded the highest value, i heard from someone else they average the result, although i think every time ive tested they've been the same with maybe one line 0.01 higher.
Thanks.

Hey all, going over some testing before my final assesment. i've heard a couple of times when testing a 3 phase supply using a single phase to earth test you double the reading as your Ze/Zs, so if you test L1-E=0.07 Zs=0.14. also what i have done until now is test all three Lines to earth and recorded the highest value, i heard from someone else they average the result, although i think every time ive tested they've been the same with maybe one line 0.01 higher.
Thanks.

You double or more accurately multiply by 1.732 to get the PFC. This is using the PEFC or PSCC depending on readings.

As above. Guidance note 3 gives us a rule of thumb of x2 but more accurately x1.732 as Simon mentions. You conduct the 3 PSCC tests and 3 PEFC tests and either double or use the 1.732 value to the highest obtained measurement.

Thanks.

Not sure what you mean here! Zs = Ze+(R1+R2) although measured values will normally be lower due to parallel paths etc.

i was meaning say in a factory you have main board which is actually Ze, but sub boards are actualy Zs from main board, but that board's Ze if you catch my drift.

Not sure what you mean here! Zs = Ze+(R1+R2) although measured values will normally be lower due to parallel paths etc.

From what I've read I think the op is doubling the impedance value as a rule of thumb at x2 hence his L-E reading of 0.07 becoming a Zs of 0.14.

To the op just to clarify you do not double the L-E impedance reading to obtain Zs it's only the PEFC OR PSCC that is doubled (rule of thumb) or multiplied by root3 to get the PFC.

This is using the PEFC or PSCC depending on readings.

It's only for PSCC. In a three-phase installation the PSCC will always be greater than the PEFC. So double the highest reading between phase and neutral (or measure directly between phases if your meter allows).

Reply to Ze/Zs of 3 phase supply in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock