Discuss Zellweger mains signalling for switching off peak loads in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

marconi

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I thought folk might be interested in the Zellweger mains signalling system which I discovered yesterday. My sister wanted to know if she had economy 7 electricity in her rented home. She described to me the intake which as well as the cutout, meter and CU included a 'small black shoebox'. It turned out to be a radio teleswitch.

In looking for images 'of the 'small black shoe box' to email her I discovered Zellweger mains signalling. In this system a coded tone at 1050Hz is superimposed on the 50Hz mains voltage which receivers in consumers premises decode to switch off-peak loads.

Further details can be found here:

Zellweger off-peak - Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zellweger_off-peak

and

I don't think we use it in the UK or Europe. The items I read refer to Australia and New Zealand.

Does anyone know how good or troublesome it is in practice?

Last edited:
Seen it used in Australia to switch street lighting on and off. They had control box's dotted around the site powering other equipment and they were a source of power for the street/road/pathway lighting around the site.

Didn't really chat about maintenance aspects of it. Although the generator used to superimpose the sine wave sounded weird running.

I thought folk might be interested in the Zellweger mains signalling system which I discovered yesterday. My sister wanted to know if she had economy 7 electricity in her rented home. She described to me the intake which as well as the cutout, meter and CU included a 'small black shoebox'. It turned out to be a radio teleswitch.

In looking for images 'of the 'small black shoe box' to email her I discovered Zellweger mains signalling. In this system a coded tone at 1050Hz is superimposed on the 50Hz mains voltage which receivers in consumers premises decode to switch off-peak loads.

Further details can be found here:

Zellweger off-peak - Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zellweger_off-peak

and

I don't think we use it in the UK or Europe. The items I read refer to Australia and New Zealand.

Does anyone know how good or troublesome it is in practice?
Rene might know, sorry I'm feeling mischievous today

Reply to Zellweger mains signalling for switching off peak loads in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock