Discuss Zinc-carbon or zinc-chloride? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

LEricG

-
Reaction score
Hi, first post here. I'm not an electrician so have limited knowledge.
My wife just bought a dog toy from China (a ball that bounces and lights up) and it says that we must use carbon, not alkaline, batteries as the latter will damage the product.
First, why would alkaline damage the item? and
Second, if the carbon batteries are safe would zinc chloride also be safe?
The non-alkaline batteries that I have been looking at in my box are zinc chloride, not carbon.
Thank you,
Eric

Hi, first post here. I'm not an electrician so have limited knowledge.
My wife just bought a dog toy from China (a ball that bounces and lights up) and it says that we must use carbon, not alkaline, batteries as the latter will damage the product.
First, why would alkaline damage the item? and
Second, if the carbon batteries are safe would zinc chloride also be safe?
The non-alkaline batteries that I have been looking at in my box are zinc chloride, not carbon.
Thank you,
Eric
In case the Pooch bites the battery??? Maybe.

Interesting point, Pete, hadn't thought of that, but that poses another question - would one type of battery be any more harmful, if bitten, than any other?

Interesting point, Pete, hadn't thought of that, but that poses another question - would one type of battery be any more harmful, if bitten, than any other?
Well not really it was just a thought that's all.

I would initially suppose that the instructions are poorly worded and should not exclude alkaline cells.
However if there is an internal part that is affected by alkali and not acid (not too likely) then zinc cells may be preferred in case of leakage of the battery.
There should be no particular worry about using zinc carbon or zinc chloride batteries, most would be zinc chloride now anyway.

I had this from another site:
Zinc carbon and alkaline cells have similar voltages but an alkaline cell has a lower internal resistance so could source a larger current if something failed in the toy, potentially causing a fire. Zinc chloride are effectively zinc carbon batteries with an electrolyte consisting mostly of zinc chloride rather than ammonium chloride, giving longer life and a higher current output also. Possibly the other concern is that alkaline could leak, but any batteries will leak if they're left for a long period in a device after they've become flat.
I bought some Panasonic batteries this afternoon and it said zinc carbon on the package but zinc chloride on the batteries.

You could say that any non alkaline primary domestic AAA/AA/C/D battery is a Zinc Carbon battery, however common usage has split zinc carbon batteries into two different types zinc carbon/ammonium chloride and zinc carbon/ zinc chloride.
Therefore the packaging is nominally correct but not commonly correct.
Ammonium chloride is much cheaper so if you definitely wanted a basic battery find the cheapest ones you can find, they will probably be zinc carbon not zinc chloride (but will last half as long).

You could say that any non alkaline primary domestic AAA/AA/C/D battery is a Zinc Carbon battery, however common usage has split zinc carbon batteries into two different types zinc carbon/ammonium chloride and zinc carbon/ zinc chloride.
Therefore the packaging is nominally correct but not commonly correct.
Ammonium chloride is much cheaper so if you definitely wanted a basic battery find the cheapest ones you can find, they will probably be zinc carbon not zinc chloride (but will last half as long).
Very informative Richard, thanks.

Apparently the "Alkaline" in an alkaline battery -does not loose it strength
as the battery depletes as it is a catalyst ( which is why they do so much damage if they leak - even dead ) ... I remember pulling pulling carbon rods out of Zinc carbon batteries with minimal harm !
(I have a feeling even Duracell can leak these days - if left long enough !)
Good old Zinc carbon batteries.
Zinc gets eaten by other chemical - both mostly used up when flat.

Reply to Zinc-carbon or zinc-chloride? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock