Discuss ZS before RCD? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

jamminuk

Hi,

I've looked for the answer to this question on her ebut couldn't find it. Can anyone tell me why it's important to do a ZS test before an RCD test?

Thanks

Ben

your Zs test proves that you have continuity between line and cpc. this should be established before RCD testing. though i am unsure if a high Zs reading would have an effect on the RCD test as such.

The Zs reading is done first to ensure that you have a sufficiently low resistance earth fault path. If the Zs is too high, then it is possible that insufficient current would flow down the fault path to trip the RCD. In the event of a "real" fault then there may well be current flow other than down the fault path (ie through you to earth via another route(s)) so the imbalance between line/neutral would/should still cause a trip. However you need to ensure that the route you are using when testing the RCD timing is good. Hence the Zs before RCD tests.

RCD test can last for 2 seconds, if you do not have a good earth the voltage of the earth circuit and any metal attached to it can raise to 230V for the duration of the test.
Hence it is essential to test for a good earth before an RCD test.

Reply to ZS before RCD? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi All Happy new year to all! First post but long timer lurker, so thanks for all the previous help! Just wanted to clarify something I have...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I'm new to Amtech/Trimble and I've been asked to review a model. I'm looking at circuits that are SWA cables using the armour and an...
Replies
Views
Anyone come across this before? I was asked to do a Zs on a 3ph surge device; L1 was around 6 ohm, L2 & L3 around 0.11. Wired in singles from a...
Replies
Views
JIB Electrotechnical Certification Scheme (ECS) Level 2 and level 3 2365 question
Firstly, I’m sorry if this has been asked before - it’s just that with a thorough search I can’t find the answer anywhere. I’m looking at options...
Replies
Views
Hi all Was looking in to the adibatic equasion as our company will not let us add on to a Ring circuit with 1mm cpc.. I want to give some...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock