Discuss Zs on Shower circuit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

B

besenzig

Hi

Installing a 9.5Kw shower circuit and need to establish the Zs value.

The setup is:
1. Isolator at the supply
2.Tails going to Wylex Switchfuse 60A where 16mm 3 core SWA is terminated (3rd core used as Earth)
3.The SWA then goes to a metal adaptable box next to the CU where it is terminated.
4.The L+N then go to a Wylex isolator
5.From the isolator 25mm meter tails to the CU

The SWA sub main was installed because the meter is at the from of the house and the CU is under the stairs in the house approx 6 meters away.

Option1. Am I right in thinking that I do a R1+R2 of the 10mm shower cable + the R1+R2 of the submain SWA + Ze at the origin.

Option 2. Or can I do a R1+R2 of the shower circuit and measure the Ze at the adaptable box near the CU where the SWA is terminated.

Your advice would be appreciated.

Correct me if i am wrong but both would give the same results! so maybe you are overthinking it and should just get on with it and make sure that your Shower final Zs complies with disconnection times obviously doing all other required tests before energising the shower.

as above. do the dead tests. calculate the Zs., then ignore the lady

Last edited by a moderator:
I know where you live.
Make sure you're out tomorrow for when HSE come knocking on your door! :biggrinjester:

Last edited by a moderator:
let 'em come. 240V on brass doorbell push. only bites when you press it.

^^^^^^ that's the way. Measure Zs at the shower after it has been energised. All the calculations in the world will not find a high resistance across a mcb etc.

it comes from the fact that some HSE idiots can;t read. from EAWR, live working is to be avoided unless it is necessary. live working and live testing are 2 different things, but try explaining that to mr. clipboard.

Correct me if i am wrong but both would give the same results! so maybe you are overthinking it and should just get on with it and make sure that your Shower final Zs complies with disconnection times obviously doing all other required tests before energising the shower.

Thanks for this. The reason I raised the isuue was that I thought it was frowned upon by the powers that be to take a Ze reading what effectively is in this case at the CU (end of submain) not at origin of supply.

it comes from the fact that some HSE idiots can;t read. from EAWR, live working is to be avoided unless it is necessary. live working and live testing are 2 different things, but try explaining that to mr. clipboard.
HSE did session at NICEIE/Elecsa North last week. They insist that live "testing" IS live "working" - that's what they will work on during any investigation. Just Saying.

Yes and within a few years they will stipulate that electricians should not work with electrics,its too dangerous
Where do they drag these morons from

Reply to Zs on Shower circuit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock