Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss ZS Testing in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Sparky 63

Sparky 63 Guest

Hello Guys.
    Just a quick question , when carrying out zs test on a ring main in an office area , can you carry out this test whilst any appliance such a pcs are plugged into the circuit - i dont believe this is the case but just would like to confirm this.

Thanks

2. EddieB

EddieB Electrician's Arms

It's virtually impossible to switch off and unplug all pc's in an office location, so the answer if you've got no option you have to, did you experience any abnormal readings?

3. driverman

driverman DIY

Tin hat time.....Could you not put LIM on EICR and explain why?

• Like Like x 1
  4. SPARTYKUS

SPARTYKUS Trusted Advisor

If thats your only option then note on the report that that was the case and there were items plugged in. Then you have.....told the truth

• Like Like x 1
  5. SirKit Breaker

SirKit Breaker Guest

It is not ideal, and i wouldn't do it because there is a remote chance that you could damage something, ok the chances are negligible, but if it something goes bang, then the cost could be a lot more than negligible.

My best advice would to be do the dead testing, you can do this with everything plugged in. So confirm ring continuity, do the r1+r2, (i would skip the r1+rn unless there is a pressing reason not to, as it is a periodic), then calculate your Zs, job done, and use test method 2 for the insulation resistance test. You could agree with your client to exclude this circuit, and record it as such under "Extent and Limitation", but it will need a test sooner or later.

Cheers…………Howard

• Like Like x 3
  6. Sparky 63

Sparky 63 Guest

Many Thanks Gents for your responses- much appreciated

Sparky 63

7. SirKit Breaker

SirKit Breaker Guest

Its a pleasure mate, don't forget the "Thanks" button.:29:

Cheers…………Howard

8. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    but, Howard, if you're going to power down for dead tests, you may as well unplug all equipment anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  9. GMES

GMES Admin Staff Member Trusted Advisor

Are you physic Tel every time I am going to say something you beat me to it with the same answer, or is it merely a case of great minds.....