Discuss Zs to high on MCCB Protected circuit? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

B

biospark80

Hello to the experts of the forum!

I am currently checking an installation and the measured r1+r2 of the cable (4c 70mm swa of 550mtrs) is 0.8Ohms using the armourings as the cpc. Ive checked with schneider and the max Zs is 0.38 Ohms (5s disconnection time). This installation is new and i'm finding it hard to believe that it has been designed wrong. The MCCB is a CNXAE34050 and the load is 35amps. The installation has not been power up yet so i dont have a actual Zs reading so far.
Does anybody now how I'm to get around this rather large problem.

I am currently checking an installation and the measured r1+r2 of the cable (4c 70mm swa of 550mtrs) is 0.8Ohms using the armourings as the cpc. Ive checked with schneider and the max Zs is 0.38 Ohms (5s disconnection time). This installation is new and i'm finding it hard to believe that it has been designed wrong. The MCCB is a CNXAE34050 and the load is 35amps. The installation has not been power up yet so i dont have a actual Zs reading so far.

some rather large cable?

What is at the load end?

ze??????? and Zs??????

Last edited:

And what tripping characteristics has the MCCB been set for?
I think the first thing you should do is measure the Zs of the circuit, then start to think about what's going on.

Saw your post Dave and realised I should have asked about the Zs as well

Hi I haven't taken the Ze or Zs yet. This cable has recently been installed and has not been energized. The cable is a 4c 70mm SWA feeding a 3ph distribution board 550 mtrs away buried in the grounds. The source is a 160amp 3ph Panel board in a stately home. The r1+r2 is 0.8Ohm so despite any other impedance readings the Zs of this supply shall not be low enough to comply with Schneider max Zs of 0.38 for this device. Due to the size of the cable and the lack of space in the panel add-ons are not an option.

at 550m that seems to be about the right resistance. You say it is a new circuit, who has designed it? Can you get more info from them?

Don't know what the Ze Zs are yet

Because it's not powered up yet, maybe?

He may be able to get Ze at source but what's the point at present, with his taken value?

It seems a rather large problem to me, too.

Last edited:
Hi I haven't taken the Ze or Zs yet. This cable has recently been installed and has not been energized. The cable is a 4c 70mm SWA feeding a 3ph distribution board 550 mtrs away buried in the grounds. The source is a 160amp 3ph Panel board in a stately home. The r1+r2 is 0.8Ohm so despite any other impedance readings the Zs of this supply shall not be low enough to comply with Schneider max Zs of 0.38 for this device. Due to the size of the cable and the lack of space in the panel add-ons are not an option.

Are there any adjustable settings on the MCCB high need to be set according to the design to achieve compliance?

Alternatively the designer is looking at one hell of a claim!

You just need to send the MCCB back to Schneider (only they can install the trip units) and have a different tripping unit fitted (micrologic 2.2 if my memory serves me correct) with more adjustability for setting your tripping curve.
You don't want to be putting and earth leakage unit on it, it's a distribution circuit.

The lowest setting is 35amps but on the Schneider design Max Zs is still 0.38. Trying to find a mccb with earth leakage trip.

Why are you trying to find solutions to this problem which obviously lies with the designer and installer of this cable ? what's your extent of involvement here ?
You say in your OP you are checking a cable, are you doing the initial verification ?
What horrible figure have you arrived at for volt drop ?

Reply to Zs to high on MCCB Protected circuit? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock