Discuss Zs too high at distribution boards in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

K

knasher

The boards i tested were none RCD protected, with 60A sub main protective device. Is the easiest way to solve the problem to install a main RCD incomer, eg 63A, 30mA at each DB? any advise?

Would such a solution not fall foul of other Regulations, such as those in Section 314 Division of Installation?

Check Ze at origin, if that is OK then you need to find problem further downstream. If its not OK and no obvious problem contact supplier.

Cheers...........Howard

What figures for Zs were you getting at the boards?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

what's the ze
what's the zs of the db
length of runs,size of cable and type

sorry just picked up all other responses to my query. Ze at origin is 0.08,(should be 0.35 shouldnt it for TN-C-S? Also, yes it was a PIR that picked up these issues. Also, re. your response (splindon), Yes, point taken re.sec.314.
Have read PIR further and looks like earthing conductor is too small 10mmcsa instead of 16mm. Supply conductors are 35mm. Could that be the likely cause?

think you.ve answered your own question .10mmm way too small . Ze should be max. 0.35. anything under is good.

Zs figures at DB's were 0.37, 1.13, 0.12, 0.95,0.13. overcurrent protective devices were 3871 mcb, 60A. some Zs figures seem acceptable, but not all (GN3 used)

a 10mm earthing conductor instead of 16mm IMO wont cause a dramatic increase in ZS. when designing jobs, i would use the max Ze to workfrom, as its worst case scenario. it could be something simple like corrosion on the armour, or no link from the glandplate/banjos to the earthing bar in DB

thanks for all your input guys, this site is a great help to someone who is not ashamed to admit that I have only recently got my City & Guilds (In response to Tonys question, "am I an electrician?", no I feel as though I've still got a lifetimes learning ahead of me still, but find this whole subject fascinating. Cheers

Reply to Zs too high at distribution boards in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock