Discuss Zs-Ze = R1+R2 - doesn't it?! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Marcus Vaughan

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
Hi all. The title is a slight red-herring to provoke a response....

Looking through previous threads here and elsewhere tells me that the formula in the title just isn't true - that you cannot just measure Zs at a socket outlet (live test) and subtract a measured Ze to get an R1+R2 value for your minor works certificate.

Fair enough - I thought - Ze requires the earthing conductor to be temporarily removed, parallel paths etc - so I can see why it wouldn't work....

So - it seems odd then that my MFT seems to encourage doing just exactly that - entering a Zref value (Ze or Zbd) then doing your live Zs as normal and it will actually subtract the Zref and give an "R1+R2".

Am I missing something here?
I don't get it?

From what I've read, Zs minus Zdb will sometimes give you an accurate R1+R2 (provided that there are no parallel paths), but it's really bad practice because you can't guarantee that you're getting true readings.

Thanks for the replies. Great stuff.

I'll just carry on as I think I should - if I add a socket to a Ring Final then I'll go for the full cross connection R1+R2 test (and Ze/polarity). Remove the doubt. It takes a while though. It's just that background feeling of not wanting to disconnect the circuit from the consumer unit unless I have to. But that's what I'll do!

I'll just carry on as I think I should - if I add a socket to a Ring Final then I'll go for the full cross connection R1+R2 test (and Ze/polarity). Remove the doubt. It takes a while though. It's just that background feeling of not wanting to disconnect the circuit from the consumer unit unless I have to. But that's what I'll do!

Nothing stopping you dead testing at an available socket.

Marcus you don't have to disconnect at the DB to do the cross connection/figure of 8 test - just do it at a socket with both ring legs in it.

It's just that background feeling of not wanting to disconnect the circuit from the consumer unit unless I have to

If you're extending the ring and not adding a spur you could always do end to end tests at the socket outlet and calculate your R1+R2. That way you don't have to disconnect anything at the D.B.

I think it's okay to use this method?

If you're extending the ring and not adding a spur you could always do end to end tests at the socket outlet and calculate your R1+R2. That way you don't have to disconnect anything at the D.B.

I think it's okay to use this method?

No you have to do the cross connecting as well to check it's actually a ring , then each socket should have pretty much the same reading apart from spurs which will obviously be higher.

Marcus you don't have to disconnect at the DB to do the cross connection/figure of 8 test - just do it at a socket with both ring legs in it.
Dave - sometimes I can't see the wood for the trees. Brilliant and simple at the same time. Thankyou. To me it makes sense to cross connect at the last new socket going in - and test at the consumer unit. I could always do a quick live Zs test on this last socket once it's in to ensure 'all is good'.

Reply to Zs-Ze = R1+R2 - doesn't it?! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net