Zs

Discuss Zs in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

snowplough

Can any of you guys tell me why when using the 80 per cent rule for Zs , you can take a measurement with the tester get a reading and use the rule of thumb,
Why cant you just use the rule of thumb when your working out the zs of a circuit knowing the Ze and having worked out R1 and R2 by calculation say befor e you put in the circuit , why cant you use the rule of thumb as you would for the measured Zs instead of having to use the cable operating temps etc.

many thanks

Locket

Not quite certain what you are asking, but ... When you are measuring a Zs and you want to know if it will meet the disconnection time for the protective device then you will often use BS 7671 for the max value permissible. However these figures are given at max operating temp and so the readings will be higher than if they were taken at a more usual ambient temp like the ones you have taken. To make a more valid comparison you scale the BS 7671 values down by 0.8 . This is not, however, completely accurate and if you wanted a more accurate value you would have to use a more complex formula. The max values in BS 7671 are accurate figures though.
When designing a circuit the designer should work out R1+R2 at the expected ambient temp. When it is installed it would be checked at that ambient temp and so would be easier to compare with the designer's specification. To start doing rule of thumb conversions would immediately start to introduce inaccuracies and prevent easy checking.

If you use the max Zs values from the OSG then they are scaled to an ambient temp of 10'C

Hope that covers what you meant:)

Maximum Zs values are given for design. They accommodate the particular amount of fault current required for them to achieve the relevant disconnection time, and are designed to the operating temperature. Therefore, when designing/selecting circuits, these are the values we must use. We don't apply any rule of thumb rubbish as in real time conditions when this amount of fault current is present to achieve operation of the device, the conductor is at temperature.

The maximum 'measured' Zs is altered as the conductor is not at temperature (i.e. not carrying the fault current) and so the conductor has more conductivity (increase in temp = increase in resistance). This extra conductivity will give an inaccurate reading and so the rule of thumb factor (appendix 14) is applied in the same way as other de-rating factors.

I'm not very sure as to what exactly you are suggesting with the question, but hopefully this makes sense.

Hi Pushrod, Widdler.

One of the reasons i was asking was because in a mok exam paper, a question asked why is the R1 + R2 value on the sched of test results 0.51ohms , be less then the calculated R1+R2 reading ie circuit length 45metres x 12.1x 2 for a 1.5 mm lighting cable ,
= 24.2x 45= calculated R1+R2 = 0.11 ohms.

Now why would the calulated answer 0.11 be more then the measured dead test value 0.51?, is there parrell paths maybe when you do the dead test R1+R2.

Appreciate your thoughts,

Locket

you would get a measured value highr than the calculated one if you had 1 or more poor connections.

Hi Telectrix,
Sorry its not 0.11, but 1.8 for the calculated value, so as i said why would this be more the 0.51 dead test measured value which is in the sched of test results table? surelly it cant be the cable conductor operating factor because its just asking to calculate R1+R2.

Rgards

Locket

Hi Pushrod,

The value for 1.5mm cable is given in table as 12.1, it says that line and earth are both 1.5mm ,so i get
12.1x2=24.2 x 45metres long = 1,089/1000= 1.08ohms

so the question asked why would 1.08ohms be more then the Sched of test result reading of 0.52 ?

Regards

Locket

or measured value has not been taken at the true end of the circuit, or the 45 m included switch runs which were not measured when the R1+R2 was meassured at the end of the circuit. - yes i'm scatching around for answers lol

Hi Pushrod,

I see what your thinking but its on an old 2391 test paper,it gives you a Sched of Test Result sheet with a lighting circuit of 45 n long and an R1 +R2 reding of 0.52 , which must be the dead test reading. The Q. asks you to calculate the maximum expected test result value for the info given in a table showing 1.5 mm cable ,with 12.1 mohms/m value at ambient temp of 20 degrees.

To me its just asking for a like for like value of R1 +R2 cold , not any 1.2 con oper temps etc, so why should the dead test reading be more then the calc value , im confused

Regards

Locket

Yep , i think i would have to stick with the measured value would not include the full cable ie the lengths used on other switches.

Did it say there was just a single lighting point or can you assume there are several?

Last edited by a moderator:
locket, please be very careful when putting numbers in to calculations. You have misquoted figures more than once throughout this thread. Apart from confusing the situation, you are likely to make mistakes in designing circuits which will potentially make them unsafe. You may think that I am being picky (for instance, 45m of 1.5 is 1.09ohms, not 1.08ohms) but you do need to ensure you get this right. You also seem to be getting confused over which is the larger resistance, the actual (0.52ohms) and the calculated (1.09ohms). This doesn't answer your original question, but it is important.

Last edited:
Thanks Ringer,

Sorry for being incorrect on the calcs ,your quite right, Any how now you no the correct ones have you any ideas

Regards

Locket

I am a bit confused - are you asked to calculate the expected value, or are you asked to explain the reasons why the measured value will be less than the calculated value?
Bear in mind that R1 ( the brown line conductor) will be 45 metres long as it goes to light fittings, then down to switches and back, before it finally reaches the light itself. The R2 (cpc) will be shorter than this because, although cpc will be run to the switches, it will be commoned at the light fitting and so will be effectively shorter. That may be one reason. Another reason may be that the actual length, rather than the calculated length, is less than 45m. Am not entirely sure that either of these is the answer they may be alluding to, but in any case, if the actual reading is less than the designed reading, this is usually (though not always, think breaking capacity) the desirable result.

Hi Ringer,

Cheers for your feed back, the actual question says, Explain , briefly the most likely reason why the actual test result (0.51) would normally be less then the value calculated (which i we worked out to be 1.09 )

Does a dead test R1+R2 reading (measured have parrell paths which might make the reading lower?

Regards

Locket

Are we saying the measured R1+R2 is considerably less than the calculated value? In which case perhaps we haven't taken a reading at the extremity of the circuit?

Hi julian c,

The measured value is 0.51ohms , the calculated value we have worked out is 1.09 ohms, i dont think its a trick question as it says normally expect to be ie measured less then calculated ,thats saying there is no other figures i should have included in my calcs

Regards

locket

Reply to Zs in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock