Search the forum,

Discuss £0 Pre-pay meter and EICR in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

timhoward

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
I have an new set of circs here...
Landlord in Cyprus
EICR needed in empty flat.
No credit on meter. Need power for Ze (TNCS) and RCD test at minimum.
New pre-pay smart meter was installed after last tenant left. This one needs a code entering, not the much simpler pre-pay token thing.
No sign of any card with the top-up code (pile of post checked)
I believe that all methods of top-up require this code.

Landlord knows nothing, didn't even know the supplier as last tenant switched. He's happy for me to top up and add to bill,.
I now know supplier is E Gas and I have the MPAN from the meter change card.
Is the only option to talk to E Gas and see if I can get the top-up code without becoming the customer?!

(I'm aware of naughty ways I could get a Ze and I'm not wanting to do it)

option 1
submit report as it is (dead tests only)
put in the limitations that there is no supply to property so live tests can not be completed.

option 2
Talk to the supplier, they may be able to provide some "emergency" credit for you to complete your tests.

option 3
a sharp pointy probe can often make contact with the conductor as it leaves the fuse even if the insulation is intact.

option 4
ask the fairies

Thank you, I'd not thought of 1 or 3.
As valid as 1 is, I'd feel bad doing it and would probably worry every time I drove past.
I'd thought of 2 and 4, as well as taking the single RCD elsewhere to test it!

I think I will see how tedious 2 turns out to be, making it clear to landlord my hourly rate applies for every minute on the phone to them.
Cheers

I had this scenario a while back with an eon meter 0 credit.
After being passed around between departments I gave up and did all the dead testing.
Limitations listed and sent it with a note that when power was on I could schedule a return visit.
About a week later I went back to do the live tests, same day as the new tenant was moving in!
I like James list I may or may not have done all of the things on that list in the last 25 years or so ;)

I got the power on in the end. It was relatively simple to get the top up code from the supplier, go to their website and stick some credit on.
Then by time I got to the property it was saying "Relay Armed, press A and B to energise".
Poor landlord, I stuck £20 on which resulted in a balance of £3.12 after the debt cleared!

I had something similar on a cottage I was rewiring. I told the customer to deal with the credit meter part with supplier… which his previous tenant had used up the emergency.
he said he had done… but still no power.

An hours call out, off another job to meet him at the property, just to press an “accept” button on the meter.

I got the power on in the end. It was relatively simple to get the top up code from the supplier, go to their website and stick some credit on.
Then by time I got to the property it was saying "Relay Armed, press A and B to energise".
Poor landlord, I stuck £20 on which resulted in a balance of £3.12 after the debt cleared!
Yep standing charge will be applied, Ive seen a big debt on a meter just built up solely on standing charge on vacant flat.

Happens on every job of ours, houses are usually empty for a year or so and they are always £300-£400 in debt mostly due to the standing charge rocking up. Then they expect the joiner or whoever to top the meter up out of his own pocket just so he can use his tools.

Reply to £0 Pre-pay meter and EICR in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net