Search the forum,

Discuss DPN5 Tick Sheet Explained in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Nice one this will help a lot thanks big time, rather than sitting there thinking what the hell does this actually relate to ill be able to whip my phone out and consult it. Thanks again. Is it just me or is item 6.0 to 7.7 missing?

Well noticed!! Let me find it...

Here we go...
6.0 Isolation and switching (isolation, switching off for mechanical maintenance, emergency switching/stopping and functional switching)

6.1 In General (537.2)

* Presence and condition of appropriate devices (537.2.2)
Shower isolator, Fan isolator, boiler isolator. Are they there? Are they damaged if it’s all ok then tick.
If missing then C3 and put why or what in reference. If damaged then C2 but this needs rectifying

* Correct operation verified (612.13.2)
Do they operate? Rectify if not and tick

6.2 For isolation and switching for mechanical maintenance only

* Capable of being secured in the OFF position where appropriate. (537.2.1.2)
The reg says suitable means should be provided to prevent ANY equipment from being inadvertently energised.
Suitable means could be that it’s local. So would be a N/A but put Local in reference. But if it’s not local then it should be lockable so C3

* Acceptable location – state if local or remote from equipment being controlled where appropriate (537.3.2.4)
Is the isolator close to the item or hidden away somewhere stupid? This relates to the item above. Tick it or C3
If C3 then put an observation in.

* Clearly identified by position and/or durable marking(s) (537.2.2.6)
This means it says what it’s for as well as on/ off
C3 and note it in reference, or tick

6.3 For isolation only

* Warning label(s) posted in situations where live parts cannot be isolated by the operation of a single device (537.2.1.3)
Possibly an old fan installation where the permanent line and neutral is taken through a fused spur, but the switched line is only switched off by the light switch. Both require switching off to isolate fan. N/A unless you find something like this. Also 2 way swtches, where both up and down circuits need to be off to isolate.... C3 I say or slap a great sign next to the switch warning people!!!!

6.4 For emergency switching/stopping only

* Readily accessible for operation where danger might occur (537.4.2.5)
N/A I can’t think of anything in domestic premises that would have emergency switching/stopping. If you can think of something let me know.

7.0 Current-using equipment (Permanently connected)

7.1 Condition of equipment in terms of IP rating (416.2)
This is all permanently connected items, Fans, Showers, ovens, hobs, boilers, I/Heaters, etc.
Same IP rating as item 4.3 above. C2 or rectify or tick

7.2 Equipment does not constitute a fire hazard (421)
If items have been installed as per manufacture instructions then should be a tick
If not then most likely a C2 which will require sorting out

7.3 Enclosure not damaged/deteriorated so as to impair safety (621.2)(iii)
Visual check of items, take cover off if appropriate is it damaged? If all ok then tick

7.4 Suitability for the environment and external influences (512.2)
Outside lights, non IP rated lights in bathroom but outside zones.
If not ok then C3 or possible C2 if ok then tick

7.5 Security of fixing (134.1.1)
If it’s about to fall off then fix it, then tick it

7.6 Cable entry holes in ceiling above luminaires, sized or sealed so as to restrict the spread of fire. List number and location of luminaires inspected. (Separate page) (527)(421.1.1)
Write in the Reference box “See Additional notes”
In the additional notes page 8 you need to put down the items inspected (see above)
Note if holes inside fittings are too big then C3 or possibly C2 note which ones on the observation page and put in reference
“See additional notes and page 2 item x”

7.7 Recessed luminaires (Downlighters)
If no Downlighters then N/A the next 4 boxes

* Correct type of lamps fitted
Some fittings require a lamp with reflector, good luck finding what’s supposed to be fitted

* installed to minimise build-up of heat by use of ‘fire rated’ fittings, insulation displacement box or similar (421.1.1)
As it says tick it or C3, Possibly a C2 if fire hazard

* No signs of overheating to surrounding building fabric (559.5.1)
Tick it or C2 if you see burning and note where, or repair and tick

* No signs of overheating to conductors/terminations (526.1)
Check above fittings at joint’s remember to note this down on the additional pages what ones you have looked at tick it if all ok

Again anything ive missed or made mistakes on let me know...
Ed

Hi Edd
What a fantastic post, it a very helpful list you have compiled and is going to be very useful to a lot of people.
I am new to the forum, and this is my 1st post.
is there any way i could get all this on one sheet to print off and also put onto my ipad.
Many thanks in advance.

Hi Edd
What a fantastic post, it a very helpful list you have compiled and is going to be very useful to a lot of people.
I am new to the forum, and this is my 1st post.
is there any way i could get all this on one sheet to print off and also put onto my ipad.
Many thanks in advance.

Ive Pm'd you, not sure you can PM untill you have more posts under your belt, let me know.

Excellent work Edd, Very much appreciated.
Should make wonderful bedtime reading! LOL!
Any chance of a pm of all the info on one sheet, so i could print and laminate.
Once again, many thanks

Reply to DPN5 Tick Sheet Explained in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net