Discuss Effective methods to generate work going from employed to start up in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi

So after working for a company i have decided to go self employed and start my own business. people on checkatrade my builder and rated people are quoting so low the work isnt actually worth it plus the fees its basically working for a company again.
What are the classic methods of organically generating electrical leads i know starting a website and reaching out to estate agents is effective
any advice is appreciated.

thanks
sid

I would say social media is a good start, it really depends on what area you want to get into. I have been very lucky over the years and have only advertised twice in over 20 years.
This is mainly due to the company I was employed by going under.
I inherited a few of their old customers and my business grew from there through word of mouth.
I have found this to be the best way of getting a good customer base. Most of the good customers will bring more good customers to you, yes you will get the ones that want something for nothing but they are not worth your time or effort, leave them for the £20ph lot!

Two things, never underestimate your time or your worth, charge accordingly.
Being self employed in this game can add up quickly with vehicles, training, calibration, tools, insurance, Part P scam membership and tax!
Sy

Word of mouth is the best advertising you will ever find.

Obviously this is difficult when you have a total of zero previous customers to spread your good name.

However, all is not lost.
Let all your friends, family and work acquaintances know about your new business.

have printed 500 or more business cards and give everyone you know 5 or 10 of them.

If you manage to give a handful to 50 people then a few of them will know someone that wants something doing now or in the near future.
if only 20 of them manage to hand out 3 cards to people they know, then you have managed to get some targeted advertising and a good word of mouth recommendation to 60 people.

It is not a fast approach to building a customer base but it is likely to give you a better standard of clients.
When you do get a job with one of them, be perfect.

when I say be perfect, I am not talking in a textbook context about your specifications and testing, we will assume all that is up to spec.

perfect from a customers point of view is a combination of the following (not in order of priority)

1. answer phone calls

2. don't promise what you can't achieve

3. when on site, be polite and talk to the customer, try to answer there questions in layman's terms.

4. do try to keep the working area clean and tidy, watch where you leave tools etc.

5. hand prints round switches etc. are not a good look!

6. TRY HARD to Provide what the customer wants and find a way to do it. there is nothing worse than having a plan of what you want and then having a tradesman sucking teeth and telling you no, that's not the way its done.

7. Conversely to the above, do not let your standards slip because a customer seems to know what they want and tell you how to do your job, there is normally a way to do what they want to do AND make it compliant.

8. For any job that is more than an accessory change, send an email quote. Require a response by email to confirm, before starting the job.

9. Be careful with your pricing, To cheap and you will be walked all over by the customers that nobody wants. too expensive is a good position to be in IF, and only IF you have so much work of the type that you want.

Get a few Good Jobs and happy customers under your belt then word of mouth is a powerful tool and will propel you good fortune.

If you have good people skills then managing customer expectations should be ok
if you manage most of the above points then you will do ok
If you get them all, all of the time then this time next year Rodney, you will be a millionaire.

Best of luck with your new business.

Thanks also is it possible for me technically speaking to issue EICR's now ? as im not part of a body like nic as of yet but will be joining them in the next 2 months

You don't need to be part of a scam to issue EICR's. Yet!
Only need to be in a scam to issue compliance certs through them for some EIC domestic works like consumer unit change, work in a bathroom/kitchen or garden, shed ect.

I will also point out that your profile shows trainee electrician.

There are many people who train, pass the exams and then go on to do EICR's

A lot of them, because of there lack of knowledge in the trade and never having seen previous standards and installation practices, struggle to provide a good service to their customers.

I hope that you are not intending to go straight from training and into inspections, in my opinion, this will nearly always end in tears.

I will also point out that your profile shows trainee electrician.

There are many people who train, pass the exams and then go on to do EICR's

A lot of them, because of there lack of knowledge in the trade and never having seen previous standards and installation practices, struggle to provide a good service to their customers.

I hope that you are not intending to go straight from training and into inspections, in my opinion, this will nearly always end in tears.
8 years and around 4 years post qualified experience fully qualified to the 18th edition AM2 etc

LOL, maybe worth updating your profile!!!

but I hope you see my point?

Reply to Effective methods to generate work going from employed to start up in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net