Search the forum,

Discuss Fault on Ring final circuit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

While it is possible to get a L-N fault that does not involve the CPC, it is hard to do with T&E cable due to its physical layout (CPC in the middle) and at accessories it is usually a fault to the back-box (cable nipped by screw sort of thing, missing grommet allowing cable-box cut, etc)

Do a continuity test L-N and see if it is low enough to trip the MCB side (so under 5-ish ohms) or it is tens of ohms or more like a small-medium motor waiting to start.

This is so confusing! You guys are so helpful.

Right, I have connected CPCs back to the earth bar in CU. Put both live and both neutral from the ring into a 5 way wago, with a new wire out from it to test. Put green lead from Megger on the CU earth bar and red onto the lead from the wago connecting ring together. Insulation resistance test on that gives 35.8 M Ohms.

Right, I have connected CPCs back to the earth bar in CU. Put both live and both neutral from the ring into a 5 way wago, with a new wire out from it to test. Put green lead from Megger on the CU earth bar and red onto the lead from the wago connecting ring together. Insulation resistance test on that gives 35.8 M Ohms.
That is good.

As a general rule, you always do IR testing with the CPCs connected to the MET (earth bar) so a fault to external metal / true Earth (e.g. screw through cable) is seen even if it is not touching the CPC conductors.

Right. Checking the pump is not so easy as the inspection hatch is a two man lift, as it is an inspection cover filled in with stone. However, I have reconnected the ring main back into the CU temporarily using Wagos and it has not tripped so far.

Reply to Fault on Ring final circuit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net