Search the forum,

Discuss Pricing and Timing in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

If the floorboards are easy to lift and there is nothing to move, then I would quote 3 days. If there is any hint that I may run into complications, then I would quote basing it on 4 days. If I had just started out, then it may take me 5 days, but I wouldn't have had a higher day rate then, due to being slow.
20% mark up on prices sounds fine.

Saying all that, you're in London. I don't think your price of £1750 labour for fitting 33 downlights is too outrageous. Higher than I would charge in Gloucestershire, but again not a crazy price.
Honestly I am a bit slow right now as I’ve only started so I’m not too used to this stuff which is why I’ve said 5 days to give me a bit of room for error.
20% markup is what everyone I know seems to be doing.

For hourly, half day and full day rates, how did you work out what you are happy with? Did you pull out random figures or have you got a way of calculating it?

Last edited:
Honestly I am a bit slow right now as I’ve only started so I’m not too used to this stuff which is why I’ve said 5 days to give me a bit of room for error.
20% markup is what everyone I know seems to be doing.

For hourly, half day and full day rates, how did you work out what you are happy with? Did you pull out random figures or have you got a way of calculating it?
I can only really speak for myself, so please seek more opinions.
I started out perhaps 12 years ago with my price too low, because I had no idea what to charge.
I started getting more of an idea of prices by chatting on here, as you are doing. Then, over time you get a feel for what you can charge in your area without losing work.
It's difficult to comment on the prices you have given as I don't know London prices.
A guess would be £70 p/hour is probably within normal limits, maybe towards the higher end of normal. £210 half day is maybe towards the lower end of normal and £350 sounds a bit too low.

London / Greater London jobs are £95 per hour , for every hour / part hour on-site. Non-negotiable. Matreials used are chargable at pretty much what I pay for them.

Reply to Pricing and Timing in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net