Search the forum,

Discuss 185 Wavecon in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Q

qwertydave

Help! We are opening a large tanning salon in a newly build site which has 2 * 3000sq ft retail units and 26 apartments above.
We asked for a quote to supply 200kVA for our salon and have been quoted over £26k to run a 185 wavecon specifically for ourselves.
(the substation is around 100yds away).

Not being happy with this to say the least we are looking for alternatives and we have been told that currently there is a 185 wavecon
feeding the whole building from which 120kVA has been allocated for the apartments. I have been told this leaves 118kVA which we could just about get by on but that would leave nothing for the other retail unit so would be quite 'naughty'.

Can someone please clarify if this 238kVA is the maximum demand allowed for 185 wavecon and suggest any way forward which doesn't have such a hefly price tag.

Any help would be much appreciated.

dave

How are we going to be able to give you a sensible assessment, without knowing what your intending to install in this tanning saloon?? So what are you needing 200 KVA supply for ...sun beds?? If so, how many and what is the rating of the individual units?? What else are you intending to supply in this unit??

We can't tell you what individual DNO's rate their cables at, they have there own method of rating their supply cables....

Yes over 90% of the load will be sunbeds. They are 18KW each and the shop can house around 15. We currently have a busy shop with 9 beds and according to the meter our max demand is 80kVA, so we figure the 118kVA on offer will be enough, although it would leave the other retail unit with nothing.
ps pardon my ignorance as I am not an electrician. I'm just trying to avoid a £26k install charge if there is a way around it.

Thanks for your help

Yes over 90% of the load will be sunbeds. They are 18KW each and the shop can house around 15. We currently have a busy shop with 9 beds and according to the meter our max demand is 80kVA, so we figure the 118kVA on offer will be enough, although it would leave the other retail unit with nothing.
ps pardon my ignorance as I am not an electrician. I'm just trying to avoid a £26k install charge if there is a way around it.

Thanks for your help

If the DNO have offered you the 118KVA, then take it, the other unit is down to the DNO to worry about. I'm sure they will supply this other unit one way or another, and not at your cost!! lol!!!

A large part of the cost will be excavation and reinstatement. You can get a quote from a contractor to dig and install duct in the highway as long as they are approved to carry out streetworks. if this sounds reasonable get the DNO to requote for the work less the excavation and reinstatement.

A lot of farmers dig the trenches themselves to DNO spec and order all the pea gravel etc, then just get the DNO to lay the cable and connect etc, they may also be trying to sting you with a transformer upgrade at that price.
They love it when people ask for new supplies as they can then cover the cost of equipment due to be replaced!

Did wonders all this privitisation.

A lot of farmers dig the trenches themselves to DNO spec and order all the pea gravel etc, then just get the DNO to lay the cable and connect etc, they may also be trying to sting you with a transformer upgrade at that price.
They love it when people ask for new supplies as they can then cover the cost of equipment due to be replaced!

Did wonders all this privitisation.

I hope your talking about a buried ducted cable here and NOT a direct buried cable?? lol!!

But i get your point and agree with you on New Supplies. ...lol!!

Can't remember the spec. engineer, but I farmer I know cut a £12000 bill down to £4500 by doing the works himself.
Still, a poletop transformer, a pole and 120m odd of cable and 2 blokes for a day still seems an excellent profit for the DNO if you ask me!

Reply to 185 Wavecon in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back