Search the forum,

Discuss 305 on the 2365 electrical cause in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

When calculating Ib for discharge luminaries, you use a multipler of 1.8....
So, if power is 1000W you × 1.8 = 1800w
6A×230= 1440W
Then In should be greater 10A.
My first reply, please someone tell me I'm on the right lines ?

When calculating Ib for discharge luminaries, you use a multipler of 1.8....
So, if power is 1000W you × 1.8 = 1800w
6A×230= 1440W
Then In should be greater 10A.
My first reply, please someone tell me I'm on the right lines ?
Sounds correct.
Luminaire specification is 1000W, multiply by 1.8 to give 1800W.
Design current I = P / V = 1800 / 230 = 7.82A
Protective device rating must be above 7.82A, next available rating is 10A.

I finished that module ages ago, it was the first one we did in the 3rd year. It's not that hard, you just have to design some circuits and in our case none of them were allowed to exceed 30M in length, it's just a question of following the design parameters for the most part.

Then towards the end you need to dig into the big yellow book of knowledge to find out some answers and fill them in.

Oh, and draw a 3 phase earth fault loop path that shows how your Electric Vehicle charger socket in the carpark won't take out the breakers in the main hotel. That was fun...

The diagram is not too bad but the EVC unit is not supplied with three phase, the installation origin is three phase, the EVC is single phase. The source supply might usefully have multiple additional earths along the cable. There is no indication of earthing for the EVC supply cable, which should be insulated from the EVC unit.
The local earth of the TT should be connected to both the exposed conductive parts and the charging socket. The RCD should be identified as type A or B. The actual earth fault path is not identified. However in general the correct basic principles have been applied.

The diagram is not too bad but the EVC unit is not supplied with three phase, the installation origin is three phase, the EVC is single phase. The source supply might usefully have multiple additional earths along the cable. There is no indication of earthing for the EVC supply cable, which should be insulated from the EVC unit.
The local earth of the TT should be connected to both the exposed conductive parts and the charging socket. The RCD should be identified as type A or B. The actual earth fault path is not identified. However in general the correct basic principles have been applied.
Hi
Many thanks for your reply
I have applied correction.

ELV Earthing arrangement.png

Looking a lot better; as a diagram for the earthing arrangement in preparation for identifying the Earth fault path that is OK.
I have made a couple of minor adjustments that may assist.
ELV Earthing arrangement.png
L3 completed, incoming earth at ELV enclosed, additional PME electrode, relabel TT as local earth.

Reply to 305 on the 2365 electrical cause in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Courses

This is the main Electrical Courses at ElectriciansForums.net. Find local recommended electricians courses. Avoid training "company" scams. Always go view the training centre before booking any electrical courses.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock