Search the forum,

Discuss Anyone gone bust yet? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

getting back to the thread.....we have just finalised an advert in the local paper plus journal. I can't sit waiting need to make the market most people don't know what the FIT rate was, "at the end of the day" it's still works, Solar PV does exactly what it says on the Tin the ROI is still better than bank !

Again we're a family business and Renewable is an add-on complimenting our Electrical contracting and Construction. I do feel for solar only guys as we haven't had any income from solar since beginning December and I will be using the other divisions cash flow by month end....We all need to be positive.

Just hope the government drop the C rating and increase the export rate.

Returns and demand are back to 12-18 months ago but there's about ten times more installers now.

Has it killed the rent-a-roofers off? i heard of some big players registering multiple 20 - 50kW systems with the panels laying on the grass... Wouldn't be sorry to hear scum like that were bailing out...

Booked in my first new job of the new year today, for february, am doing a quote a day at present but its tough out there, survival of the fittest now, sorry to say.

Glad to hear you're still out there quoting, Noshocks. We're visiting customers but they're all saying the same - if the rate extends at 43.3 they're interested, but not at 21p.

21p still isn't a bad deal (recoups the outlay in 13 years even with cautious figures - and probably a higher 25yr return than cash in the bank; probably safer too!) - and 21p might be the best deal on offer if the government wins the court case and/or then goes on to slash FiT's even further in April, or places onerous energy-efficiency prerequisites for solar installations.

The "I want 43p" mentality is rather like someone who watches a share go up from a few pennies to a high price (43p <FiT>), then the price drops back (21p <FiT>) before they have time to lock-in the easy money gains, but they refuse to take their profits even at 21p - demanding that the price must go back to the old 43p high before they'll contemplate selling.
Of course, if they wait too long, even 21p might look generous; they may get much less!

Anyone's client wanting solar might wish they'd not sat on the fence hoping for a better offer. Of course, there's still a fair chance of getting 43p - but will they be "in" early enough if 43p is reinstated.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think anyone expects 43.3p but by accepting 21p we are selling our industry short.

This is a classic example of where the Governement wants to give you a good kick in the whatsits but knows it will create a storm, so they announce something even worse, then capitulate a little and everyone thinks 'oh, thank goodness' and accepts the unacceptable gratefully. All this nonsence about accepting the Governments decision without complaint or legal recourse appalls me. They acted illegally and need to be held accountable for that and to just bend over and take it is a humiliating embarassment IMHO.

Do you really think Governments should be allowed to behave in anyway they like and we just accept it, because I don't.
2 individuals with a host of allegations of illegal behaviour behind them are kicking our industry to death and some people seem to be willing to just lay on the floor and let them do it.

It seems to me there was a lot of people making a lot of noise when this all started but now it's come to a fight they have shown they are all mouth and no trousers.

Yes, what the government did was unlawful. I can't see how they can win their appeal - it's probably just a delaying tactic to keep people sitting on the fence until April.

The government made their first mistake by allowing a bubble to develop - especially "rent-a-roof"; I can't see how the tariff's were ever intended to allow companies to set up and simply milk the system. A whole bubble built itself on money for nothing due to flawed government assumptions and failure of the government to prevent those who exploited a loophole.
Government action should have been taken earlier - and more gradually - to slowly reduce the FiT rate as the price of solar became more affordable (or its efficiency increased). Now we've reached the point where, instead of a prolonged gentle adjustment, it's a case of dropping off a cliff.

Yes, the whole escapade has been appalingly managed to the point of negligence. I think they are trying to smother the industry by delaying as well.
I don't think any of this really comes down to budget though as I have said before. It comes down to centralised energy production and the 2 idiots managing (I use the word advisedly) this debacle lining up their jobs for their future after politics.

Sudden and dramatic changes are not a good way to encourage the solar industry.
I fear that the industry could be virtually snuffed-out just as solar is looking like it could be a viable source of power in a few years time.

But that's politicians for you, no matter which party they are from; delayed and knee-jerk reactions driven by emotion; crisis management without logical forward thinking.

I think the bubble might have burst, big companies employ subbies ( mostly ) so their only overheads or the ads,and telesales

A recent new member so I was quite interested to read this thread and after some thought, these are my responses.

On Feb 15th I ordered 16 Panels, had them installed on the 29th Feb, got the higher rate. The thing was I was not expecting them to be able to install so quickly and thought I would get the lower rate of 21p.. the contractor said the bottom fell out of the market due to the Governments Policy of not giving away tax-payers money.... and this is the point, even if I was not getting any FIT, I would have installed them as it still makes a huge difference to the Energy Bill on my home....

To give you an example, 2012 has been the worst weather for years, hardly any sunshine at all, yet in the first 2 quarters, I halved my electric bill and obtained a fraction under £1,000 - can't wait for a decent bit of weather.

I don't believe the Government were wrong lowering the tarrif, this is TAX PAYERS money they are giving away when I would rather they just reduce the GREEN TAX on energy to reduce peoples bills...

and this is the point, even if I was not getting any FIT, I would have installed them as it still makes a huge difference to the Energy Bill on my home....

Glad to hear it. If everyone else thought like you then we wouldn't need the Feed In Tariff at all. Unfortunately, they don't.

I'm sure you then went on to forgo the feed in tariff, right?

I don't believe the Government were wrong lowering the tarrif, this is TAX PAYERS money they are giving away when I would rather they just reduce the GREEN TAX on energy to reduce peoples bills...

The government weren't wrong to lower the tariff - they were wrong about how they went about it. It was actually proven to be illegal.

And you are incorrect - it isn't tax payers money, or rather it isn't tax money that is being used. It is the energy companies' money. And this money has gone a long way to kick starting one of the most vital industries on the planet. Money well spent, I would say.

SolarCity, I did not forgo the FIT, I have used the first 2 payments to rip out my old back boiler, open up the fireplace, re-line the chimney and install a 5kW Log/Coal burning stove and I will use the following payments to recover the cost of the new 'A' Rated Condensing Boiler, new Radiators, New Loft Insulation and of course the £13K I spent on the panels... basically using the FIT to improve the energy efficiency of the house as should I ever sell it, it will make it more attractive to potential buyers...

AIUI the FIT whilst paid to you from the Energy Company is subsidised by the Govt which is why they wanted to reduce it...!

SolarCity, I did not forgo the FIT..

So you don't agree with it - but you'll have it anyway? That sounds more than a little bit hypocritical. Also, the 13k you spent on the panels? Despite paying about £3k over the odds for your set up, it is still nearly half the cost it would have been if the feed in tariff subsidy had not been introduced.

AIUI the FIT whilst paid to you from the Energy Company is subsidised by the Govt which is why they wanted to reduce it...!

Well, you understand it incorrectly. The government do not subsidise it in any way.

Seems a bit strange to come on to a forum and bark out an opinion on a subject that you clearly know very little about.

Reply to Anyone gone bust yet? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock