Search the forum,

Discuss AV cables in solid wall - what the regs say? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Not sure, doubt it. I was more thinking about regs regarding cut depth into the block wall. For the mains power to the TV I'm just gonna chase the cable in the normal manner, to a single low profile socket behind the TV itself.
Would the regs you ask about be the building regs then?

if you're got the money to install AV cables you're earning too much. ghetto blaster in living room, doors open, sorted. pink floyd throughout the house. any complaints, send them to bernados.

Would the regs you ask about be the building regs then?

Any regs, I was just reaching out for what the rules are in general for chasing cables etc in a house. I have since been referred to the 1/3 vertical, 1/6 rule horizontal which seems to be the only thing I need to bare in mind.

if you're got the money to install AV cables you're earning too much. ghetto blaster in living room, doors open, sorted. pink floyd throughout the house. any complaints, send them to bernados.

I live in a sleepy stone market town - the locals would burn me in the town square if I even purchased a ghetto blaster ;)

Not to mention my lovely wife... She's vicious!

I still think the false plasterboard wall is the best solution. You don't need to move the fireplace out too...just stop the false wall short of the fireplace each side, to create an alcove look.
Or, go the false dado rail route, but have it at picture rail height...basically do what the builders do when they make a mess of something..."Make a feature of it"!

I live in a sleepy stone market town - the locals would burn me in the town square if I even purchased a ghetto blaster ;)

Not to mention my lovely wife... She's vicious!
Chop chop photos or its not true that you have a wife........ ;o))))

Building regs state that you must not form a bridge between the inner and outer leaf of the cavity wall which would allow damp to cross, you could use the cavity if you can ensure this did not happen. Not very easy to achieve in practise.

But also, not very easy to prove a bridge has been formed :)

This could be very useful as I can cut out enough to feed some pipe through the cavity to carry the feeds, and then re-instate the interior leaf using a new bit of cut block. The end result would be a safe route for cables and a 'good as new' wall structure :)

I have a project meeting with our structural engineer at work on Tuesday, I'll take advantage of that to run this by him too...

You've got me looking now ! Part A Building regs. Vertical chase maximum 1/3 of the inner leaf. Assuming 4" leaf thats a 1.3" chase in the wall (not the plaster or whatever finish there is). Sorry to revert to "mm" now but that gives a minimum of 18mm (ish) finish to play with, you should just get away with the following and still comply with Part A Building regs. I normally chase in 100 X 50 plastic trunking from low level to behind the tv. Use a couple of 47mm(or 35mm) deep flush twin boxes fixed "landscape" and remove the top/bottom, HDMI ends fit through easily. Fit double euro plates with brush inserts (cheapest at S.fix). It is important to fit EML (expanded metal lathe) over the trunking because the finish is extremely thin and will crack if not used. Hope this solves the vertical, I'll let you work out the horizontal but including the wall finish I think you will find 20mm conduit easily complies with the 1/6 horizontal chase in the inner leaf. 20mm should be big enough for speaker cables and the like.
Here's hoping you have thick plaster already !

But also, not very easy to prove a bridge has been formed :)

This could be very useful as I can cut out enough to feed some pipe through the cavity to carry the feeds, and then re-instate the interior leaf using a new bit of cut block. The end result would be a safe route for cables and a 'good as new' wall structure :)

I have a project meeting with our structural engineer at work on Tuesday, I'll take advantage of that to run this by him too...

You've got me looking now ! Part A Building regs. Vertical chase maximum 1/3 of the inner leaf. Assuming 4" leaf thats a 1.3" chase in the wall (not the plaster or whatever finish there is). Sorry to revert to "mm" now but that gives a minimum of 18mm (ish) finish to play with, you should just get away with the following and still comply with Part A Building regs. I normally chase in 100 X 50 plastic trunking from low level to behind the tv. Use a couple of 47mm(or 35mm) deep flush twin boxes fixed "landscape" and remove the top/bottom, HDMI ends fit through easily. Fit double euro plates with brush inserts (cheapest at S.fix). It is important to fit EML (expanded metal lathe) over the trunking because the finish is extremely thin and will crack if not used. Hope this solves the vertical, I'll let you work out the horizontal but including the wall finish I think you will find 20mm conduit easily complies with the 1/6 horizontal chase in the inner leaf. 20mm should be big enough for speaker cables and the like.
Here's hoping you have thick plaster already !

That's really useful - so you find that it's generally possible to chase 50mm deep trunking without fouling the 1/3 rule? I can see that at worse it's a couple mm beyond 'allowable' taking into account the finish plaster.

So long as it's not something that a surveyor would be triggered by, I'm frankly happy to do it..

If the moulded plugs are the worry, use cat6 and terminate as you require. Run 2 or 3 everywhere. Also, a tip for HDMI, use the ribbon flat cable, put 3 in the trunking, they take up no room! Put them in before snapping the cover on.. .if you have a failure (unlikely) just switch to another one, and as suggested by sheppertonspark above, use brush-plate outlets, allowing up to 8 or 10 cables through.

1. [QUOTE="sheppertonspark, post: 1482451, member: 17777 So you can isolate it at night easily, (my mate is a fireman !!)[/QUOTE]
As I have got older and stuff is getting crappier (sic) I do the same.

Reply to AV cables in solid wall - what the regs say? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock