Search the forum,

Discuss BGB 17th Edition, amendment no 1: 2011 for £60 pre order in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

im up for bulk buy too. its very expensive for those firms/individuals that have a complete collection of 7671, OSG and guidance notes 1-8. i could do wth a copy of 7671 now, cos i wana become scam registered, but im not prepared to fork out for the regs and then replace them in a few months. looks like ill be waiting a while, and enjoying the easy life a liitle longer! :cool:

Cant say that i blame you buddy !

Will the onsite guide and the relevant guidance notes all be updated to include the amendments? Will I have to buy updated versions of this? Got my BS7671 exam coming up soon but hope tobe able to borrow a big red book to avoid buying twice in 6 months but don't want to buy the others twice either if I can avoid it.

I agree with kung, I'm just finishing off my 2230 at the moment but having been involved in other technical environments and published larger documents than the BS7671 myself it seems a cheek to change the full RRP of £80 for what is a document printed out on a laser printer and bound using the cheapest method available, not that I'm hugely bothered by the quality of the printing nd binding used but it takes the **** to be changed £70 and still be given a photo copy!

If safety was and standards were the true concern of the IEEE and BS then documents and specification would be freely or very cheaply available.

Placing barrier in the way of obtaining information on standards are a sure fire way of reducing compliance and in the case of electrical contractors pushing people into unregulated work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well said !!!!
Its bad enough if your flooded with work but if your not ! that and the VAT increase and scheme fees etc etc that mixed with the total lack of policing its no wonder some take up unschemed work ! are we the only trade that has this ? do other trades ? yer buy all these books and replace them in a cpl of years ! Save the tree's ! are they making it even harder for the self employed electrician to justify their self employment ? or are they just trying to either make us consider a career change or join the scheme dodgers that most dont have regs etc or are they just helping us ? even £30 IMO is a pee take considering how much it costs to print bs7671 !!!! if we have to work by it and we can prove scheme membership/quals or even just quals eg JIB card then the powers that be should treat us with a bit more fareness and charge a decent price eg £25 is plenty considering its ONLY been out a short time ! or supply it in an exchange with 17th ed regs at a discount ! imagine if your a school leaver and only left school last year ! by the time you replace bs7671 with the new updated one as well as OSG etc that is a tidy expence !
Gripe over !!!!!!!!!!
Yer im up for bulk buy and supporting the forum !

Of course 'other trades don't have this' do you seriously think plumbing and joinery are subject to the technological and safety developments that the electrical industry has to conform to?

And do you think that printing is the major cost contribution and not the hundreds of hours of work by the teams involved in all of the publications affected?

Nobody likes paying out for publications but at least look at the facts (or become a plumber).

Last edited:
Of course 'other trades don't have this' do you seriously think plumbing and joinery are subject to the technological and safety developments that the electrical industry has to conform to?

And do you think that printing is the major cost contribution and not the hundreds of hours of work by the teams involved in all of the publications affected?

Nobody likes paying out for publications but at least look at the facts (or become a plumber).

Look at what other trades charge ! not much diff from us ! Plus all those hrs ? How many copies will be sold ? imo they will be making loads of profit dont you agree ? so this More than compensates them for what they have been paid to do but id like to think it was Just safety orientated and not including making a mint to boot !

I know where you're coming from with the 'money grabbing' comment but by the time this amendment comes into effect, almost 4 years will have elapsed from the publication of BS 7671:2008.

I don't think that's too bad ...

Not so very bad if you have had it for 4 years but a lot of people will have had to buy this in the last 18 months or less. Personally i think this is another tax and indirectly encouraging non-compliance - at worst there should be big discounts for scam members in the region of 50%:mad:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi guys, sorry haven't been paying attention but I'm still on board for a bulk buy.

If the amendments were kept back because of time constraints then they can't have been that important. So why not wait until after the economy recovers before bringing out a bunch of new documents?

Jobs for the boys springs to mind!!!!

If only as much time was spent "policing" installations in the real world than they do about sitting around discussing amendments .......

Hi, Sorry if this question has already been asked. But am just about to start studying for the 17th edition exam and want to know when will the amendments start to show in the exam papers if not already. Is it OK for me to study the pre amended book for my for my exam.
PS: count me in for baulk buy

I went on a half day jolly on the new amendment to be warned that there will possibly be another by the end of the year or beginning of next with the 18th already penciled in for 2014/15... am I going to buy the green book.... I'll think of something

I went on a half day jolly on the new amendment to be warned that there will possibly be another by the end of the year or beginning of next with the 18th already penciled in for 2014/15... am I going to buy the green book.... I'll think of something

Great.....

I was having a chat with our AE and the 18th is meant to be all about RCBO's cutting the supply before the voltage can rise to dangerous levels... OK so nothing new but on a greater scale with great emphasis.

Last edited:

Reply to BGB 17th Edition, amendment no 1: 2011 for £60 pre order in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back