Currently reading:
BS3036 breaking capacity and PFC..

Discuss BS3036 breaking capacity and PFC.. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
Afternoon....

I have just completed an EICR and am unsure if the Wylex BS3036 fuses require a code due to their breaking capacity related to the PFC.

Firstly I would like to identify if they are S1A, S2A or S4A as that would solve the problem of the PFC being 1.35kA, however I dont think its going to be possible to identify them as there are no markings indicating this information.

So I will put 1kA for breaking capacity which is < PFC!

Guidance note 3 says that you can take the s/c capacity of the fuses to be 16KA when:

the current ratings of the devices don't exceed 50A
The d/b is a 5486-13 or better
it is supplied through a type 2 BS1361 fuse rated at no more than 100A

But if the above is acceptable then I cant quite see the point in having a breaking capacity rating on fuse/MCB if we are going to ignore it?

Do most of you accept GN3 and would not be concerned? Or would you want to change for MCB's with a higher breaking capacity?

I have to admit I do not have a copy of GN3 so have just found the above paragraph on the internet, if I had the copy in my hand and could read it thoroughly I would find it easier to make a decision.

Last edited:
Well... I contacted the Wylex helpline (01543 455000 - just in case anyone else wants it) and ALL wylex rewireable fuse holders are rated at 2kA.

The chap stated that the only one rated at 1kW was the 5A plug in MCB (with the 2 round push buttons on it).

He also stated that he is not aware of any rated at 4kW which was strange as they are clearly mentioned on some of the data sheets.

Thanks for confirming this - I have also understood the breaking capacity to be 2kA and used that figure in the past, although not having an authoritative source I didn't mention it. The low Ics of the old Stotz pushbutton MCBs was par for the course in their day, which was a long time ago. I have a 5A example here and it is indeed rated M1.

Reply to BS3036 breaking capacity and PFC.. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock