Discuss Which is better BS1361 or BS88? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Was wondering why was BS1361 replaced by BS88 even though BS1361 tends to have a larger breaking capacity according to the on-site guide if I'm reading it right, however, I maybe wrong.

For example BS1361 breaking capacity can be 16.5kA to 33kA depending on what type you get, where BS88 is 16kA to 31.5kA depending on what type. However that was BS88-3, BS88-6 is 16.5kA at 240v. Also what is the difference between the BS88-2, BS88-3 and BS88-6, what is the newest version of BS88 fuse.

Was wondering why was BS1361 replaced by BS88 even though BS1361 tends to have a larger breaking capacity according to the on-site guide if I'm reading it right, however, I maybe wrong.

For example BS1361 breaking capacity can be 16.5kA to 33kA depending on what type you get, where BS88 is 16kA to 31.5kA depending on what type. However that was BS88-3, BS88-6 is 16.5kA at 240v. Also what is the difference between the BS88-2, BS88-3 and BS88-6, what is the newest version of BS88 fuse.
Different strokes for different folks as Willis used to say

tell it to farmers. either is better than a bent nail.

None is particularly better than another as BS88 2-6 serve different purposes, BS88-1 is general requirements for the fuses. BS1361 fuses are now referred to as BS88-3 so are essentially the same thing.

None is particularly better than another as BS88 2-6 serve different purposes, BS88-1 is general requirements for the fuses. BS1361 fuses are now referred to as BS88-3 so are essentially the same thing.
So are there no difference between the BS1361 and BS88 fuses other than the BS number. If so why change the BS number if there is no change. Do they both still contain sillica or similar powder inside them? And if I'm right did the fuse history go like this BS88 fuses came first then the BS1361 fuses and then back to BS88 2010? Maybe I'm wrong. Sorry for being an annoyance with all the questions, just trying to get my head around this. Thanks.

Reply to Which is better BS1361 or BS88? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net