Currently reading:
Building regs, joist cutting?

Discuss Building regs, joist cutting? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

alanl

Had to go into an attic today to do a little work.
Anyway, a new boiler was fitted a month ago, with 5 pipes running from one side of the attic to the other. To keep them level, the plumber has cut 5 holes through 2 ceiling joists, right in the middle of their 8 foot span.
The joists are roughly 5 inch by 2 inch.
Clearly, 5x 25mm holes in the middle of them is going to weaken the joist.
I was a little concerned when I saw it, but havent told the householder yet.

From my building regs book, no hole should be put into a joist at any more than 0.4x the length, so holes in the middle are clearly not allowed.
What to do?
Tell the householder, or just leave it?
I reckon an easy way out of it for the plumber is to screw some new length of wood on top of the existing to ensure their integrity.

Reply to Building regs, joist cutting? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock