Currently reading:
UK Can anyone tell me what is wrong/incorrect.

Discuss Can anyone tell me what is wrong/incorrect. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
0E13BF62-DDB2-4D56-89D8-2755421342E1.jpeg

Morcombe and Wise, Two Ronnies???

Might I direct you fine gentlemen to another thread….

Glanding the cable to a metal fused-switch like the Wylex ones would have been far better, then double insulated tails to the meter.

It looks like the "filler" insulation around the 3 cores has been clamped or similar - wonder how that dent happened?View attachment 112405
Didn’t even see that dent/damage.
Looking at the size of the damage, it could have possibly been some sought of over tightened Earth strap? (But why)? I’ve run out of idea.

Merry Xmas

The earth tag does not match the template laid out in BS7671.

The text should read,

"Safety Electrical Connection, Do Not Remove"

Not,

"Safety Electrical Earth, Do Not Remove"

I'd also argue the Hepworth branding should not be there and the standard Earth pictogram is not used.

Pedantic, yes, but it is a noncompliance.

mmm! not so sure Id agree it as a non-compliance, Isn't there a passage in the regs that says "alternative 'systems/methods' etc shall not be precluded as long as safety isn't impaired" (or something like that as I Don't have regs book to hand )?

Alternative wording/pictograms hardly impairs safety and message is clear enough!

mmm! not so sure Id agree it as a non-compliance, Isn't there a passage in the regs that says "alternative 'systems/methods' etc shall not be precluded as long as safety isn't impaired" (or something like that as I Don't have regs book to hand )?

Alternative wording/pictograms hardly impairs safety and message is clear enough!
OK so I was clutching at straws but it is the kind of thing examiners include solely to stop people getting full marks.

I am no expert on the regulations but wondered whether the sixth item is that the main equipotential bonding is done remote from the cutout location.

The according to the book ‘rule abiding‘ installation should have the earth conductor from the incoming N in the cutout going only a short distance to the main earth terminal bar, and then from this bar runs a cpc conductor to the dist boards, and separate EP bonding conductors for say water and gas connected also to the bar as in this figure.

With this scheme the cpc wiring and EP wiring do not share one conductor which might be considered a possible single point of failure. Just musing….

1703601788921.jpeg

Last edited:
I am no expert on the regulations but wondered whether the sixth item is that the main equipotential bonding is done remote from the cutout location.

The according to the book ‘rule abiding‘ installation should have the earth conductor from the incoming N in the cutout going only a short distance to the main earth terminal bar, and then from this bar runs a cpc conductor to the dist boards, and separate EP bonding conductors for say water and gas connected also to the bar as in this figure.

With this scheme the cpc wiring and EP wiring do not share one conductor which might be considered a possible single point of failure. Just musing….

View attachment 112486
They replaced meter tails with SWA making the MET remote.
We don't know how the swa terminates or if it is downstream fused.
A bit of a botch, whatever way you look at it.

A Spn fused connection unit would have been the way, but even then could cause a moan from the dno for using the meter cabinet.

Last edited:

Reply to Can anyone tell me what is wrong/incorrect. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back